Chapter 22

Serena's POV

"Marina! You look fabulous! I am sure Calem is going to drool!" I exclaimed and clapped my hands as Marina shyly fumbled with the brim of her dress.

I was sitting in her room, waiting for her to come out of the washroom. She called me to judge her. I told her she'd look awesome but now as I see her, she looks so cute! Just like a doll.

"S-shut up, I am not that great the Calem is going to 'drool'," she mumbled as she rolled her eyes. But my compliment still got her a red tint on her cheek.

"Mari, you look like an adorable baby doll!" I cooed.

Her blush intensified and she started mumbling something I couldn't quiet make out.

"MARINA, SERENA! THE BOYS ARE HERE!" Mom shouted from downstairs.

Marina ran towards me and held my hands and squealed as she pulled me out the room.

We slowed down as we reached the stairs. Marina started breathing in and out to calm her nerves. I held her shoulder and squeezed it reassuringly. She smiled and gave me small hug that I gladly returned.

"Let's go Mari." I whispered and held my hand out for her to take. 

She giggled at my gentle-manly behavior and we slowly descended the stairs.

Calem and Ash were standing by the front door, Calem busy in chatting with Mom. Ash was the first one to notice us and nudged Calem. Calem looked at us, Marina specifically, and his eyes widened. He smiled at her and Marina just gave a quick wave. Ash was looking at me and winked. I just rolled my eyes. I was wearing nothing more than baggy-sweat pants and a casual tank top. He chuckled at my reaction and I smiled too. He was wearing a blue tuxedo. I looked at him, up and down, and formed an amused expression. He just bowed and winked at me again. Calem was wearing a grey tuxedo. He couldn't take his eyes of my sis.

"Hey Calem, Ash." I greeted.

"Hi." Ash waved.

Calem though remained silent. It wasn't until Ash nudged him that he snapped out of his trance and gave a quick nod. Marina giggled at his nervous behavior. This caused Calem to rub the back of his neck and give goofy grin.

Wow. Love can be expressed without words and compliments can be showered without words too.

"Ahem," I cleared my throat and grabbed Calem's hand and placed Marina's hand in his, "take care of her." I said and let go.

Calem and Marina looked grateful to me for approving them being together. They both then exited the house without a word, hand in hand.

"Don't you need to pick your date too?" I asked Ash.

"Yeah, what a headache." He groaned and rubbed his temples.

I shook my head at him and pushed him out the door.

"So, you won't come?" He asked me, over his shoulder.

"Nope. I won't."

He sighed.

"I wish you were."

And then he left.

~O~

Ash's POV

"She already left?" I asked Mrs. Berlitz.

I was standing in front of Dawn's mansion. The door was opened by Mrs. Berlitz, Dawn's mother.

"Yes. Apparently, she left with someone earlier. I am so sorry dear." She looked at me with sympathy in her eyes.

"No, its okay. I should be going too. Thank you." I gave a quick nod and headed towards the cab I had booked.

What irony, how could the daughter of such a sweet woman be a brat?

"Where to now?" The driver asked.

"To our final destination."

"Okay." He turned on the engine and pulled out of the parking lot.

I looked out of the window at the passing lights and houses.

Why did she agree to let me pick her up when she decided to go alone? I won't be surprised if she ditches me.

I mentally scowled. I just wasted my money, driving to the other part of the town just to pick a girl up who already is at the prom, with who knows who.

My phone vibrated, snapping me out of my thoughts.

SereYo: So, did you pick her?

AshK: She is already there at the prom..I just went for a long drive.

SereYo: Oh okay. Enjoy. And be careful around her.

I just read her message and didn't bother to reply. 

I wish you were there, Sere.

I sighed and blankly stared outside waiting to reach the prom and get over with it. 

~O~

Serena's POV

SereYo: Oh okay. Enjoy. And be careful around her.

Message read

I sighed as I realized that he won't reply to any of my texts now. I hurt myself and the others around me too.

He was going with Dawn. I mentally cursed her. But it wasn't her fault. She just asked him and he agreed. I was the one who swatted him away like a fly.

I plopped down on my bed and stared at the ceiling. 

Guilt. Pure guilt.

I wish I could do something. I just knew that Dawn was up to something. First she asks Ash and doesn't even wait for him then. Most probably going to insult him in front of the whole school, just like she insulted me back in-

Wait.

Insult him in front of the whole school!

I got up and started pacing around the room. Dawn was a mean, brat, rich snob. She liked to pick on people for amusement. She would harass them publicly by spilling their embarrassing secrets. She has made a mental note to harass everyone at least once. If she wanted she could the bio-data of a student from anywhere and then use it against the kid to insult him. And today she asked Ash. Out of all boys, only Ash. And Ash has never been insulted.

It was his turn.

I quickly grabbed my phone and dialed Ash's number.

"Pick up. Pick up. Pick up. Pick up. Pick up. Pick up." I mumbled under my breath. But in the end, he didn't.

I nervously tapped my chin with my fingers and decided to call Marina.

No response.

Calem.

Switched off.

I left Ash in the hands of a girl who could instantly ruin his life in school. 

What am I going to do?

I clutched my temples and rubbed them. Suddenly, my gaze landed on the dress Marina gifted me. 

"..it is never not too late to change your mind."

I didn't know what came over me but I just grabbed the dress and looked at it.

Maybe this is the worst decision I will be making but I feel good thinking it is for Ash only.

And now, I am sitting in a cab, on my way to school. For prom.