chapter twenty-nine

Vote if you enjoy!

I walk to dinner quickly, hoping that I'll leave Harry trailing behind, but despite my fast pace, we enter the Great Hall at about the same time. I glance at him awkwardly, and then my eyes flicker to my feet as I walk over to the Slytherin table. Daphne grabs my arm and pulls me into the seat next to her, and I smile apologetically at the third year I elbow on the way down. Across from the table sits Draco, who glances up at me briefly, and picks at his food with a look of distaste on his face. His hands shake every so often, and he puts down his cutlery, takes a breath, and then picks them up again.

Daphne is talking to me so quickly that her words seem to slip into some other language in my brain, and as I serve myself some mash potatoes, I barely make out a word she says. My daze seems so intense that I only snap out of it when the sound of smashing glass fills my ears.

I jump, looking up to see a little girl with glass on her hands. She kneels beside the Slytherin table, shattered glass littering the floor before her. I blink, watching as blood starts slipping through her skin as my eyes focus on her face. Rosa. I shake myself out of my head, hearing a small sob escape her lips as she stands up, bits of glass falling off her robes.

I frown at the glass on the ground, then back at her. No one on our table moves. I gulp, standing at the same time as Draco, we make eye contact, but only briefly, as she starts to cry. I suddenly become very thankful for the buzz of chatter that fills the Great Hall. No one has noticed her crying. She'd be horrified if they had. I step over the bench I was sitting on and hurry over to her, wincing as I see glass peeking out of her hands. I'm a Prefect. I should deal with this.

"How did this happen?" I ask her gently, biting my lip as I gently touch the back of her hands, and she shakes her head,

"I dropped my- and I was trying to clean it up but I-" Bless her, she was trying to clean the glass up with her little hands. I sigh,

"Come on then, we'd better get you seen to," I wrap an arm around her shoulders, looking up to see Draco standing behind her,

"I'll come, help out, if that's alright, Rosie?" He asks tentatively, and I give him a perplexed look. Why does he call this little girl Rosie? She's never mentioned a nickname like that to me.

Rosa nods weakly, hiccuping as I place a hand on her shoulders and lead her towards the door. Draco walks behind us, and Rosa cries quietly as we hurry to the Hospital wing. I can't remember seeing Madame Pomphrey at dinner, but I know her store cupboards pretty well, and I don't think it'll be too hard to find some bandages and some ointment with the essence of dittany would be enough to fix her hands up.

We reach the Hospital wing and Draco opens the door for us. We step into the dimly lit room, a collection of sectioned of beds surrounded by curtains, most of them drawn. A line of windows across one wall let moonlight flood the room, and I spot Madame Pomphrey across the room, tending to someone, she looks up, surprised,

"Who is that? Oh, Malfoy- Clara!" Madame Pomphrey's eyes then fall on Rosa, and she frowns, "Rosa, what on earth have you done this time?"

"This time?" I ask, frowning as I walk Rosa over to Pomphrey,

"Oh, she's in here once a week at least, last week she had burnt herself with hot chocolate for her friend Elsie, the week before she fell off her broom," Madame Pomphrey quickly examines Rosa's hands, then nods at me, "I think you could deal with this, don't you?"

"Oh, I guess so I-" I hear a loud groan from a bed far across the room, and I bite my lip,

"A Hufflepuff boy, he made the mistake of eating one of the Weasley twins little concoctions when it was a bit past it, and he's been in here for two days. I'd better make sure he's alright, can you handle this?" She nods at Rosa, who stands looking up at her with a bewildered look on her face. I glance at Draco, who is examining the room in an attempt to look preoccupied.