Chapter 17: Oh, Ellisif

The Vikings had travelled to Mercia and set up camp there.

Bjarke sat down next to a hooded Hvitserk. She didn't know why, but she thought it was pretty damn sexy.

"For what is a warrior without his honour?" Sigurd said.

Ivar and Bjarke exchanged glances and Ivar chuckled. "I don't know. You tell me, brother."

Hvitserk had told Ivar and Ubbe what had happened. He had tried to make sure Sigurd would behave. He'd do anything to protect Bjarke.

"What you have to learn, Ivar," Björn said, "is that if you break up this brotherhood, we shall not succeed. We have many challenges ahead of us. So, if you want to keep arguing and whining like a little girl, then I suggest you leave. We don't need you."

"Oh, but you do need me," Ivar said. "Why do you think father chose me to come with him to England?"

It took Bjarke a lot of effort to keep her mouth shut. She knew Ragnar had asked all of the other brothers to come. He had even asked her to come, so what Ivar was saying was not entirely true. However, this was not her fight.

"He had a reason for doing so. He told me I was the one who would act for him, who would make sure he was revenged."

"If that's what you want to think," Björn said mockingly, "then think it."

Floki and Bjarke exchanged glances. The both of them knew they should say a word right now, but it was time to stop this argument.

"I understand it must be hard for you to accept that the true heir to the great Ragnar Lothbrok should turn out to be a cripple and a reject," Ivar said.

Bjarke got up and at that same moment, Floki started laughing.

"So this is what the grunting of the little pigs was all about."

He then got up too and followed Bjarke.

---

Halfdan had asked Bjarke to come join him and his brother. Apparently, Harald needed a distraction from his lover and Halfdan said Bjarke made good company.

"Even though you're a woman, you fight and talk like a man," he had said.

"I don't," was Bjarke's response, "I've always fought and talked like a woman, you've just underestimated me."

Halfdan had smiled and they had made their way towards king Harald.

They sat down and both looked at the king.

"Alright," Harald said, "I admit. I was a fool not to kill her."

"No," Bjarke said. "You were a fool to think that she would always wait for you."

"You were a fool to think that she loved you," Halfdan said.

"How could she marry that nobody?"

"Maybe she loves him. And if she loves him, then he is somebody," Bjarke said. "And besides, you were a nobody once too."

It was not a nice thing to say, Bjarke knew that, but it was the truth.

"She's right."

"How are you so wise, brother?" Harald asked.

"It may have escaped your attention but I am not married myself. You know why? I don't understand women any more than you do. Women are fickle," Halfdan said. "Forget her."

But king Harald did not forget her. Instead, he actually made his way towards her.

"Oh, I'm so going to enjoy this," Bjarke happily said as she followed him.

"Ellisif?" Harald said. "I came to forgive you."

No, he didn't, Bjarke thought.

"It is not your fault you couldn't wait for me. You probably thought it was an impossible task you had set me, in any case. I was never supposed to achieve it. You never really intended to marry me, did you?"

"I'm sorry," Ellisif said.

"I don't even know your name," Harald then said, turning towards her husband.

"My name is Vik, King Harald. I am happy to meet you. Believe me, I knew nothing of this... arrangement you had with my wife."

"Mmm."

"But I am glad that you have forgiven her."

Vik wanted to shake King Harald's hand, but Harald smashed his axe into Vik's forehead.

"NO! VIK!" Ellisif screamed as she fell to her knees next to his now lifeless body.

Harald cleaned his axe with a piece of clothing, said:"I'm so sorry," and then left.

Bjarke had enjoyed watching the drama, but now she felt like she needed to help Ellisif.

She kneeled down next to Vik's body and ripped a piece off of her cloak. She carefully placed it on top of the wound on the man's head. It gave her the chance to move closer to Ellisif and whisper: "Make him pay for it."