"I'm seventy steps ahead of everyone, Tommy." I smirk and he nods.

I've won my fair few games of cards in my time working the bar at the Garrison. It's my best talent. Extortion from creepy men. And it's all thanks to my dad for teaching me every card game imaginable and training me in it so I could make some cash and immediately spend it in whatever pub he dragged a ten year old to. Typical family bonding, am I right?

"So. When are we going?" I ask and he shrugs.

"Tomorrow. Morning. I'll be picking you up quite early, we've got a bit of a ride ahead of us." He says and I nod with a shrug.

-

The next morning I'm woken up to Tommy standing over me.

"I told you early." He says, shaking me a little.

"The sun is hardly up, Tommy." I groan.

"Let's go." He claps.

"My dad let you in?"

"No. Charlie's back. He's downstairs. Just got in. That's why I'm up so early." He says and my eyes widen.

"Are you serious?" I sit up, grabbing my dressing gown from the end of my bed.

"Yes. Go on." He says and I run from my bed down the short flight of stairs and quickly find Charlie in the kitchen, waiting over the hob for the kettle to boil.

"Hi!" I scream, running at him.

"Hi, sis." He says into my hair. I can feel the smile on his face.

"I've missed you. It's been months." I say, squeezing him tighter.

"Yeah. I heard that times were getting tough here in Small Heath, so I thought I'd come back for a bit." He says and I smile.

"You should head over to the betting den or the Garrison to get caught up." Tommy says, entering the kitchen. "I'm taking your sister on a venture."

"To do what?"

"We're getting Polly's son back." I smile.

-

"Here we are." Tommy says, stopping the car on the corner of a home in the countryside.

"It's beautiful here," I say, stepping out of the car. "Do you think he'll be interested in hearing what we have to say?"

"I sure hope he does." Tommy says, and I follow him down the dirt path to the front of the house. I see two boys, one who's older, and probably Michael, and another younger one, playing with a ball in the field to the left.

"Is that him?" I whisper and Tommy turns to me and shrugs and we continue walking.

"Get in and wash your hands boys, go on." I hear their mum say as Tommy and I get closer, and I grip my hands together.

"Mrs. Johnson." Tommy says confidently.

"Yes. Who are you?" She asks.

"I'm from Birmingham Council Bordesley Parish. This is my associate." He motions to me and I give her a weak smile.

"No one wrote to me. What do you want?" She asks.

"I would like to talk about your son, about Henry. Can we come in?" He asks and I grip my fingers even tighter, biting my tongue.

I have no idea what I could even say to attempt to help him.

"I'd rather you didn't. He doesn't like to talk about this." She says quickly.