Chapter 25 - My Happiness

Start from the beginning

"Hey, Jess." Hearing Marty's voice, she turned around, her spirits immediately lifting.

"Hi, Marty!" she said with a big smile as he walked through the living room.

"It's a hot one, ain't it?" he said, going straight to the water pump.

"Yeah," she said as she watched him.

After making deliveries on his bike in the heat, his face was red and his t-shirt was sweat-stained. He took a long drink from the spigot, then straightened and smiled at her while he wiped his mouth with the back of his hand.

"I might not be here tomorrow," she said. "I might go downtown after school to get some clothes."

"Will you be coming to the drug store?"

"I'm not sure. Annie and Mr. Dwyer - they don't seem to like each other for some reason. I think something happened with his son."

"Huh," Marty said, turning to go get his books.

"Are you asking because you hope I'll come?" she asked with a coy smile when he returned.

"Naw, I just wondered," he said casually as they sat at the table.

"Oh," she said, and tried to push away her feeling of disappointment while she set out food for them. She would love to see him at the store, but she knew Annie would be too uncomfortable around Mr. Dwyer. Why did life have to be so complicated, she wondered with a sigh.

~

That night at dinner, Uncle Jonathon seemed in a particularly good mood. Partly it was because Annie had outdone herself with the meal, cooking a standing rib roast, one of her uncle's favorites. But it was also because he spent the entire meal talking with Doug about how he'd be working at the office all summer. Hearing the happiness in her uncle's voice, Jess ate silently as usual and hoped he'd still be in a good mood when Annie brought up the clothes.

Trying to keep her nerves at bay, she distracted herself by thinking of her own summer plans. With Doug and his father out of the house, she'd be able to spend all her time with Marty. She smiled as she imagined them swimming, fishing, and exploring the property together. When Annie came in the dining room carrying a lemon meringue pie, her uncle's favorite dessert, Jess straightened in her chair, her nerves suddenly worsening.

"I would like to take Jess shopping for summer clothes tomorrow," Annie said mildly, placing the pie front of Uncle Jonathon. "She's outgrown everything she wore last year."

He had a sour look on his face as she handed him the pie server, and Jess held her breath. Please say yes, she thought desperately, watching him scowl at the pie.

"I suppose," he muttered, and Jess let out her breath, hardly able to believe he'd given in so easily.

He began cutting into the pie and Annie dared give Jess a conspiratorial wink before leaving through the butler's pantry. Jess tried hard to keep a straight face when she handed him her dessert plate, but then she noticed Doug smiling at her, his eyes letting her know he was happy his father had agreed, and she smiled back. It made her feel good to know he was on her side too.

~

That next Saturday after breakfast, Jess excitedly put on her new swimsuit. It was beautiful, a navy blue nautical themed one piece suit with a short skirt. Wearing it made her feel grown up. The hot weather had held through the week and she was looking forward to being able to swim for the first time since winter. Even better, this was the first holiday of the summer, a long weekend, and she and Marty would get to spend an extra day together since the drug store was closed on Monday.