Afraid of the Dark

Sweat dripped from my flaming skin, the sheets felt like sandpaper beneath my body. Horrifying visions clouded my memory, sending waves of panic and confusion through my entire body so heavy I didn't even realize I was awake. My breath was rapid, my heart was racing like that of a mouse; I couldn't make sense of who or where I was.

Then the calming voice of reality brought me up to earth. My surroundings became familiar to me, even in the darkness of the middle of the night. My breath began to steady and my heart regulated, but the panic still in my heart told me I wasn't going back to sleep anytime soon.

I removed the covers from my sweaty body and made my way, almost blindly, to the door of my bedroom. Just as I reached for the door handle, I heard the muffled sound of voices. I pressed my ear against the wood of the door, hoping to hear then more clearly, but the muffling did not stop.

Quietly and carefully, I opened the door, making my way down the stairs and through the hall. Now that I could hear, one of the voices was definitely Mark's.

Why on Earth would he have someone over at this time of night?!

"Come on Markimoo, stop being such a wuss. Just do it already!" One voice scolded, it sounded like Mark, but...darker. Much darker, almost demonic. A shudder rolled up my spine - any thoughts of a secret girlfriend of his shattered at the rich depth and timbre of the voice in the room before me.

"Or should I say, do her already?"

I recoiled away from the doorway, almost catching my foot on the edge of a corner heading into the hallway before bracing myself on the wall, forgetting to breath. The only sound that accompanied was a soft thump, but it was enough that... whatever it was noticed.

"What was that?"

Sounds of what seemed to be a struggle echoed into the space, juggling in between my brain and my actual thoughts; I couldn't make myself budge even a centimeter.

"Will you stop?"

Another thrash - it sounded like someone was trying desperately to get through the door and still I couldn't raise even a toe to get out of the way of imminent danger and the weird possession that was happening on the other side. It all seemed disconnected, disjointed with what I knew - at least what I thought I knew - about reality.

"This would be so much easier if you would just let me in, Markimoo. It wouldn't be so - ggrkchhj;l -" Something crashed in the room, and I scrambled up to the doorknob, almost gripping it before another something banged against the opposite side of the wall. "- see, this is what I'm talking about. You always - aaaAARGH - fight so hard, just relax for a second!"

His breath seemed to tear out of his chest; I could hear every agonized rip out of his lungs. For a moment, there was silence except for the heaving opposite of me. I tried to pick just one thought of the millions fleeting away and out of my brain - none of it made sense.

"Now," The same voice rumbled through the floorboards, which had come to an uncomfortably silent halt, "it seems that we've got our work cut out for us." A creak towards the door.

My heart stopped. Oxygen flowing in and out of my lungs came to a screeching stop. The short few seconds before the door opened was spent cursing myself over and over for ever getting out of bed.

"She's practically begging for it,"

And the door swung open. I expected to be faced with a complete stranger, the face belonging to the mysterious voice on the other side of the door, but no; I was greeted with the face I had been living with for weeks.