DISCLAIMER + EXY

Hello folks! If this quest to victory interested you, I'm flattered, but first we have to state a few things.

1. Burn or Get Burnt is a fictional story, with characters and plot created by me. Please, respect that and don't redistribute it somewhere else. However, exy and Coach Danielle Wilds DO NOT belong to me. Both of them belong to Nora Sakavic (http://korakos.tumblr.com/), author of the book series All For The Game (or Foxhole Court, which I believe you've heard of it at some point, if you live in The Great Land of Tumblr).

2. You DO NOT have to read All For The Game to read Burn or Get Burnt, as it's set in a totally different place and with different characters. I, however, recommend that you do. It's a wonderful book series with real, well developed characters. The author talks about important themes, such as mental illness, sexuality, bad parenting, the importance of friendship and why you always need to keep trying. It makes me cry every single time, argh.

3. Take Burn or Get Burnt seriously, but at the same time fucking don't. This book is a fucking joke because a need to de-stress a little bit, and all the characters are little shits because that's the best kind of fictional human being there is. You'll read a lot of cursing ahead, mentions of alcohol, probably there'll be people smoking shit, anxiety attacks, depression and some stuff. I'll put trigger warnings in the beginning of the chapters.

4. Exy is a fictional sport created by the fantastic Nora Sakavic, and as such, has its own rules. I'll put a few explanations below, but you can read everything in this link! http://foxhole-court.wikia.com/wiki/Exy

com/wiki/Exy

THE BASICS

Exy is a sport played on a soccer-sized court that has walls and ceilings made of plexiglass. It is "an evolved sort of lacrosse [...] with the violence of ice hockey". A team consists of six players, each of which has a racquet with varying depths of netting. To score, the players must shoot the ball at the goal, a rectangle marked on the shorter wall. The goal will light up in red if it has been hit. The objective of the game is to out-score one's opponents.Exy is played in two forty-five minute halves with a fifteen minute halftime break. The Exy Rules and Regulations Committee (ERC) is responsible for approving rule changes and generally oversees the sport.

THE POSITIONS

There are four positions: striker, dealer, backliner, and goalkeeper. Six players per team are allowed on the court at a time. Generally speaking, this allows for two strikers, a dealer, two backliners, and the goalkeeper. A lot of teams has a big amount of players, so there's always different players at court during the game.

Strikers: The striker is offense and plays to score. Strikers start the game on the half-court line. The strikers on the serving team start on the inside; strikers for the defending team are on the outside.

Dealer: The dealer serves and is thereafter the middleman; dealers have the option to specialize as offense or defense and can play as an extra striker or backliner depending on how the game is going. Dealers start on the first/far-court lines.

Backliner: The backliner is defense and protects the goal. Backliners start on the first/far-court lines.

Goalkeeper: The goalkeeper guards the goal.

The minimum size for an NCAA team is currently nine players. In theory this allows for six on-court players and a sub for each position save goalkeeper. After recent events this rule is under review and posited to increase to twelve.

THE EQUIPMENTS

You can read more about it in the link above, but the main things are:

Racquet: Net depth varies by position, they look like lacrosse sticks.

Ball: Roughly the size of a fist and weighted for rebounds

Helmet: Required to be worn on the court at all times unless instructed otherwise by an official or unless the game is not in session. Just a standard helmet for violent sports, you know what I mean. So you don't have your face smashed.

Armor: Chest and shoulder padding, neck guard, shin guards, arm guards, and armored gloves to protect the players' fingers. Optional: bandannas to keep hair out of one's face (Shane wears it a lot since he has long hair), armor to wear over one's thighs under one's shorts, and mouth guards (to prevent accidental injury during collisions)

THE MAIN RULES

1. An offense player who does not have possession of the ball, or who is moving to take possession of the ball, must have an opposing defense player between him or herself and the opposing goalkeeper at all times. This prevents strikers from waiting near the goal to score. The penalty for off-sides is loss of possession and a reset to the half-court line.

2. Body checks are allowed against players who have reasonable possession of the ball: that is, who currently have it, who have just relinquished it, or who are within a moment of receiving it. The player who currently has possession of the ball may body-check any other player with no restrictions. A faulty body check results in loss of possession and a reset to the next-closest court line.

3. Any other form of fighting is prohibited and will result in a card. Games are restarted from where play was halted; the exact spot will be decided on by the residing referee. No other player may stand within ten feet of the dealer during a mid-play serve.

4. "Stick checks" are allowed only between racquets. A player who strikes another player's body with his or her racquet will be carded and the opposing team will receive a penalty shot. This includes using one's racquet to trip another player. A stick check against another player's helmet is an immediate red card and earns the wounded team a penalty shot on goal.

5. Balls may only be carried for 10 steps, at which point they must be passed. Acceptable passes are to a teammate, to oneself via a rebound, or a shot on goal.

6. One yellow card is a warning. Two result in the player sitting out the remainder of the game. A player who is red-carded is immediately expelled from the ongoing game and must sit out of the next one as well.

7. Exy games for youths and high schoolers require four referees at minimum. From the NCAA level upward six are required, three to either side of the court.

8. Goalkeepers are the only players allowed to touch the ball with their hands. Players cannot catch, kick, or otherwise interfere with the ball unless using their racquets. Violation of this is a stop-play and switch of possession.

That's it folks, enjoy the game!