Chapter 9

"... use Peter as a nude model in our next art event."

Peter's head snaps up. "Wh-what?"

Across the coffee shop table, MJ sneers. "Oh, you're still with us, Parker."

"Yeah, dude," Ned says. "Where've you been?"

Back in my room wearing the Black Sabbath tee Tony lent me, is at the tip of Peter's tongue, but May emerging from around the wall with a new thermos of tea stops his distracted brain from actually saying that out loud.

"Where has who been?" May asks, setting down the thermos as she looks around the table.

The only members of the Neighborhood Avengers Website Restructuring Task Force who drink tea are Steve and MJ, but somehow that means that Bucky, Ned and Peter have to contend with it, too. They're grouped around a table, Steve and Bucky comfortably sharing the bench while MJ, Ned and Peter occupy the chairs.

Bucky's not really part of the Task Force; he only tags along for the free pastries Toomes is going to bring by any minute now.

"Well, your nephew has been drifting off all meeting."

Okay, and to provide really, really unhelpful commentary. Bucky grins at Peter while May places a soft hand on his shoulder.

"Oh?"

Peter looks up. "It's nothing."

May's brow unfurrows and her lips curl into a smile. "How about you say that once more with feeling?"

"Yeah, it's like Liz is back!" Ned supplies before Peter can even think about making shushing motions at him.

His aunt's eyes light up. Which would be a great thing if they were talking about literally anything else.

"Who is he, Peter?"

Five pairs of eyes are suddenly on him. They know he likes guys, but, well, he hasn't really mentioned anything... for obvious reasons.

Peter's saved by Toomes's vocal entry and the inability of the new barista May's currently training to deal with the baker in the middle of one of his self-righteous tirades.

"Do I look like a fucking sell-out to you?" Toomes demands when he reaches their table after unloading half his creations for The Hybrid Puppy's new 'Taste Adventure' basket. Toomes sells his experiments for half-price, but tasters are required to fill out a poll that Ned created after trying a novelty muffin and –

And Peter missed half of what Toomes was saying.

"– ain't gonna do it, I don't care how perfect that kitchen is. Ey, Parker." Toomes places a tray with cupcakes in front of them. They're green. "Tell your sugar daddy he's got no business messing with mine, you hear me?"

For a terrifying second, Peter's blood turns cold.

"Stark," Toomes adds – not helping – and finally explains, "The rich prick's offered me a job at his firm, baking for stiff meetings, like them corporate types aren't fat enough. Told him to go to hell. Doubt that guy knows how to operate an oven –"

"He'd just build a robot to bake for him," Ned says. "Like he has a coffee machine now that just has one –"

"– button and you helped design it, yeah, I got it, the entire city's got it, Leeds," Toomes grouses.

"Wait," Bucky says around a mouthful of green cupcake. He makes a show of swallowing after a pointed glance from his fiancé. "I thought you said it's just more hours but at good pay and some sort of grant to cover upgrades and additional staff, right? From that pilot project? How's that 'selling out'?" Bucky adds air quotes, which is hard with half a cupcake in his hand. "You'd keep your shop, just with a little more cash in the bank."