Life Is Worth Living

The old man sat on the garden bench, counting his last breaths as he knew he was going to die soon. He was recalling the most wonderful and dreadful memories of his life, strange smile on his face. He went back to his childhood days and it seemed as if the time stopped. He saw his old house, pretty small but that house meant a lot to him. He saw his mother there who was a single parent raising four children and he being the oldest of the four.

No one knew what happened to his dad, all they knew was he disappeared one day leaving everything behind. His mother tried her best to nurture her children but after few years she passed away. At that time the old man was in his early teenage. The responsibility to raise three of his siblings and fullfil their needs came on his shoulders. He thought of committing suicide as he thought there was no purpose of living without anyone there to care, but then he thought twice and finally gave up the idea by thinking there would be some purpose to live.

He worked in a chemical factory and during his free time he sold newspapers. During midnight he used to read newspapers and old books. During holidays, he used to remove snow from the neighbour's lawns to earn extra income. He sacrificed his own studies in order to educate his siblings. After a good effort he wrote a book which became famous, giving them a chance to fulfil their dreams.

During his youth he fell in love with a girl and married her. Till today he doesn't know how he dared to propose her. He loved her more than anything. After few years his wife passed away due to lung cancer. He thought of committing suicide as he thought there was no purpose of life without his wife, but then he thought twice and gave up the idea by thinking that there would be some purpose of living.

During his adulthood, he opened a publishing company and success touched his feet. The company became famous in the whole country. He earned great fame and money. After ten years, he was declared as a bankrupt without any fault of him and lost everything. He thought of committing suicide but then again he thought that there would be some purpose to live. At last he moved far away from human population and shifted on the mountain region with only a dog with him.

Till then, he lived there and now he realised that though life has ups and downs, flips and flops, though you think there is no purpose of living, but life is indeed worth living. Before making ridiculous decisions think twice! The old man closed his eyes forever and the wind nearby blew softly and swiftly, as if it carried the old man's soul.