Chapter 19

Serena's POV

What's wrong with me?

I am sitting on the bottom-most bleacher of our school ground.

I never realized this but the sky and the clouds look so peaceful at this time of the day. The birds chirping, the wind rustling the leaves and the sun giving warmth.

Perfect.

"You found a good spot for a picnic." I heard him say.

I turned my head to see him grinning at me. 

The gentle breeze was flowing through his raven-hair making it dance, the sun kissing his z-marked cheeks. His eyes sparkling with childish delight and joy. Those beautiful auburn eyes.

This is what I was missing in these last few weeks. 

"Yeah." 

His eyes widened slightly at my small comment. His cheerful expression was replaced by a frown. But this didn't stop him from jumping down towards me, like a child and sitting beside me.

"What's wrong?" He asked, looking at me.

"You were right when you came here few weeks ago after I started dating that bimbo. This place sure does soothe ones nerves." I replied.

"Yeah, but that's not the point." He turned his head and stared into the distance.

"I know. I am just trying avoiding your question." I placed my head on my knees and hugged myself close.

We both sat there for a long time. We even heard the bell ring in the distance, indicating that lunch was over and we had to return to our classes, but me and Ash didn't budge from our spots.

We both were happy and comfortable with each other, in silence and the pleasant weather.

Perfect.

"Are you okay?" He suddenly asked.

I turned my head and I felt breathless. 

Ash, he was staring off in the distance. He looked so- mature and manly right now. I have never really seen him being serious. The playfulness from his eyes was gone and now he looked blank. I always thought that he was like an open book easy to read, but it turns out that I was the real open book here. He read me. And now, I am not able to read him.

"No."

He sighed but still did not look at me. My head dropped and I stared at my feet.

"Are you scared?"

"Yes."

"Of what?" 

"Love." I replied.

He looked at me while I was sulking and looking down.

"Serena Yvonne,"

I looked at him.

"You may not be comfortable in dresses, heels and make up. You may want to live like a boy. But this doesn't change your soul. You are a girl, this is a fact that will never change. Don't change for anyone. If you love someone, then don't hide it. Admit it. And if that guy doesn't like you because of whatever you are, then don't change for him, ever. Because he is blind, as he doesn't see the real you and can't find love in the real you. Be yourself. Be true to him and yourself." Ash looked into my eyes.

He is so serious.

"And," he continued, "if the person you love tells you to change or hates you for what you are, tell me, I will kill that person."