Prologue

"Uh... when did this become the plan?" Sabine Wren asked Hera Syndulla, who seemed just as shocked when the Purrgil arrived out of nowhere. 

"You're asking the wrong person," the green Twi'lek replied, appalled. The plan had already gone far downhill, but Ezra seemed determined that he'd had a 'Plan B' that would work. His first plan failed drastically, leaving the Ghost crew with casualties on their conscience and their hands basically tied behind their backs. He'd been on Thrawn's ship for far too long, supposedly surrendering, before squid-like creatures called Purrgil emerged from the clouds above the planet Lothal. Meanwhile, Sabine had been busy taking over the communications dome: the pinnacle of Imperial tyranny on Lothal.

What's happening up there? Sabine thought as the Purrgil closed in on Thrawn's Star Destroyer. She remembered her commlink was still intact and pressed the button that honed in on Ezra's own commlink. 

"Ezra," she said into the small device, "Ezra, can you hear me? The Purrgil... is this you?"

It felt like an eternity passed before he answered, "Yeah! Pretty good, huh?"

Sabine rolled her eyes. Always so cocky. "Well, you could have told the rest of us."

"I wanted it to be a surprise."

The Purrgil in the sky were starting to glow now, emitting a pulsing blue light as they wrapped their strange tentacles around the broken ship.

"When they glow like that..." Hera started.

"They're about to jump into hyperspace," Sabine realized, finishing Hera's thought. 

Hera plucked her commlink off her belt and turned it on. "Ezra! Ezra, get out of there right now! That's an order!"

"Hera..." he almost sounded relieved. A bit tired too. What's happening up there? "I have to see this through to the end."

The Purrgil were on the move, slowly inching toward the sky and gaining speed by the second. 

"Ezra, please," Sabine pleaded, "get out of there!"

Ezra paused. His voice was low when he responded, "I can't do that. It's up to all of you now." Most of the Purrgil were gone now. He was running out of time to escape. Sabine knew that escaping wasn't part of this last plan. "And remember... the Force will be with you... always."

And then, Ezra was gone. 

So was the Empire. And that stupid dome after they blew it up in the sky for all of Ezra's people to see. They could finally see how much he sacrificed for them. 

When everyone was safely back in the Ghost, Sabine knew they would be celebrating if Ezra was still by their side. But Hera's first orders were all related to Ezra's last trajectory. All they could find was a holorecording of Ezra. 

"If you're watching this recording, then I owe you an explanation," he said. "There were several paths in front of me... while this wasn't the one I wanted to take, it's what I had to do. That's something Kanan taught me." He smiled apologetically. "I'm going to miss you all." He went through a list of small things he either owed the Ghost crew or things he was giving to them. Everyone in the cockpit ate up Ezra Bridger's last promises, but Sabine was just waiting for her name. Her promise. His reassurance that he would come back to her. But he only gave her the four words he'd been telling her for the past few days. 

"Don't forget: I'm counting on you."

* * * * *

Lightspeed streaked across the blue walls of hyperspace. Long, blue-white lines along the walls of a long, midnight dome. Sabine Wren smoothed her short, purple hair and thought of the many times Hera Syndulla had made quick escapes from the Empire by using hyperspace. That only led her to think about Jacen Syndulla: the son of a concealed Jedi and a rebellious pilot. Hera ached for her 7-year-old son because he would never meet his brave father, Kanan, who died in an explosion caused by the Empire to save the galaxy. Sabine pitied Hera because everyone on the Ghost knew she and the deceased Jedi were an item.

She started to replay the conversation between her and Hera about Jacen over again:

"He loves flying," Sabine had said, sitting in the all-too-familiar Ghost's cockpit and flashing her big brown eyes at her friend, "He gets it from you."

"I'll teach him..." the Twi'lek rebel said, her green lekku swaying as she searched for the buttons she needed to press on the dashboard of the Ghost, "When he's older."

Sabine laughed. "He has his father's eyes."

"And his spirit," her voice trailed off as her lovely green features darkened, "I just hope he didn't inherit his 'special abilities'," Hera said as sadness crept into her tone. "I have to bear living without Kanan... I won't lose my son to this Force nonsense, too."

"It's more than nonsense, you just have to understand it," Sabine explained. Sabine didn't understand it completely herself, but Hera didn't need a lecture. There was an awkward silence. "Maybe he'll have his dad's awesome long hair too!" she said, trying to break it.

Hera just smiled longingly, her green-eyed gaze drifting to the lush plains of Lothal. She always did that when she thought about Kanan. "Hey," Sabine said as she stood to comfort her friend, "he's in a better place now, you know that."

"A 'better place' is him and I together with our son. As a family."

Sabine opened her eyes. That conversation was right before Hera had been called to the Battle of Yavin--- when the first Death Star was destroyed. Then, like the Rebellion didn't tell the Empire, "Hey, we can beat your doomsday device, so surrender and stop trying," they just made a second one. And then, they were demolished.

No more Empire.

No more Vader.

Just freedom.

But that was all that Sabine, Hera, and the rest of the Rebellion wanted: along with hope and peace, they all fought for freedom. It didn't come for free.

But the person who wanted it most of all was Ezra Bridger.

Note: the first part of this chapter is a scene from the show, Star Wars: Rebels and does not belong to me.

It would be appreciated if you vote on my story!!!

For more updates, follow my Wattpad and/or Instagram account @thesunnywhy

If you find any typos or incorrect facts in the rest of the story, it would be much appreciated if you COMMENT and tell me because I'm always checking the comments.

A quick shoutout to @GryffindorsLoneWolf and @TreasureCommunity for the awesome review in Sapphire's Review Store 2.0! Thanks, guys!

Thank you for reading! I hope you enjoy the rest!!

:)