Bonus Chapter 3: Tol'vir

(Riana's POV)

I checked him a dozen times, his facial features were relaxed in sleep, softened like petals in the spring, denying the nature of his mission. Petals, where had that come from? The only petal I'd seen belonged to the flowers in the Artifact Museum, preserved for the descendants of the Black Day to see and remember. And, they were untouchable, stored in acid-free transparent cubes hanging from the walls like ancient strolls. They were continuously sprayed with the necessary nutrients while the temperature and the humidity in the cube were regulated so that the plant could survive and make it to the next generation. But, despite the caution to keep the old world alive and the hope we'd someday return to it, we all knew we were clinging to a hopeless cause. Well, maybe not so hopeless anymore. I was here. Despite all odds, I had made it. And, I was determined to change things for the better. 

There was a slight twitch in his cheekbone, if he was speaking to Lucifer right now, the devil as rumors would have it, then he surely was not having a good time. The softness I'd witnessed earlier was gone. My eyes were riveted on his, trying to catch any flicker of the eyelids, any sign that he was waking up. A sigh escaped my lips,  the nerves were getting the better of me. Thankfully he didn't stir. Whatever was happening, he was too occupied to make it back. 

I paced the perimeter, too impatient for Tol'vir to make it back to me. What was keeping it so long? I wanted to be done with the place and go back to my own mission. The clock was ticking, and I had precious time to reverse things. If  I couldn't locate HIM, I would have to do the inevitable. Shivers racked my body just thinking about it. Was this Mission Impossible, was I deluding myself? I had to give it a try. I just had to. 

The buzzing sound brought a smile to my face. The smile of relief. The small wings roared like it needed some oiling. Maybe it did. It had been ages since I'd taken care of Tol'vir. Mostly it was taking care of me. I had to eat some greasy food, duly noted. French fries would do me and Tol'vir some good. I loved the taste of them, crunchy, greasy, golden and simply delicious. The mission was worth it just for tasting this amazing food. 

The mechanic sound that came from Tol'vir was hurried. "Slow down my friend,"  I said. He was back. That's the only thing that mattered. 

Tol'vir continued its speech. I was the only one privy to its language, the only one who could understand it. It was part of me. 

"Are you saying there is a beehive, or better still, a dusthive?"

Tol'vir rotated its neck a few times, continuing its hurried speech. It did this whenever it was excited. "Han tin ka"

"Well done, show me the way."

Tol'vir screeched pointing at him on the ground. "Ssh," I warned him. "I know...I know. Yes, he will be angry if he finds us gone. But maybe...just maybe we can be done before he wakes up, huh, my friend?"

The soft metallic whisper told me Tol'vir remained skeptical. 

Tol'vir sped past me, its wings making that rusty sound as they whirred us away in this weird place.  I set up a fast pace, trailing close behind it, making sure I didn't lose it. Once Tol'vir took off, there was no finding it, not until it came back to fetch me. And that would mean precious minutes wasted. Precious minutes I couldn't afford to lose. After Tol'vir had entered my life, being and remaining fit were no longer a choice, it was a necessity which is why my daily routine included at least two hours of heavy training. The first time had been hard. I thought I was dying. The second time, my whole body had ached. I couldn't move any limbs. The third time, I was sore but stopped complaining. The fourth time, I'd found a secret joy in it. The fifth time, I didn't remember when training hadn't been in my life. And thanks to arduous training, I had no difficulty following my friend though the rather uncomfortable feeling in my heart and the ragged breathing which reflected the consequences of inhaling the air that was both freezing and burning.