Chapter 2

It was silent when they reached the door leading into their little abode. Phil couldn't bring himself to make conversation, scared that Dan would break down or something of that sort.

But he had promised Dan that they would talk when they arrived home, so that meant Phil had to actually speak. What a joy. With that in mind, Phil lead the smaller boy to the lounge, which was hardly a lounge at all, considering it barely fit the small couch that Phil set in there.

He sat down rigidly, watching as Dan did the same, squeezing as far away from Phil as possible, his pale hand fumbling with the string bracelet around his wrist. "Wh-why are you so m-mad?" He finally stuttered, looking like he was in a large amount of pain.

Phil stared at him long and hard. Did he not understand how his actions affected people? Or did he simply... not remember? He watched as Dan felt through his jacket pocket, taking out his phone and illuminating the screen. Whatever he saw made him shake so hard that he phone clattered onto his lap. "Do you... Remember?" Phil asked gently.

Dan froze. "I-I... i-it's just really f-fuzzy," he choked out, avoiding eye contact.

Leaning back in his seat, Phil tooik his time surveying Dan. The way his brown hair fell over his cheeks that were flushed a bright red color, the way his clammy hands couldn't sit still. It was obvious that Dan had some really severe anxiety, but there was something else. Something that scared Dan to the point of hardly being able to function. So Phil told him. About the man, about Dan's words, about how he had smiled when the man grabbed him. He watched as Dan's eyes grew wide, looking like he was going to throw up at any moment.

When Phil was finished, Dan stood up, rushing towards his room, barely managing to utter a small, "Sorry, I'm not feeling very well, I'm going to sleep," before he slammed his door shut, leaving Phil with his thoughts.

Blinking in surprise at the sudden movement, Phil rubbed his eyes with his fingers, sighing. Dan sure was confusing, shy one moment, angry the next, and a nervous wreck after all that.

Finally, he shrugged, noting that it was almost ten. Classes started tomorrow and he could worry about Dan's strange mood swings another day. Right now, he needed sleep.

-

Loud tinkling noises is what woke Phil up. He groaned and glanced at the clock. Three in the morning! Who was making music at three in the morning?!

He stood up, prepared to gripe at Dan and tell him to shut it off so the normal people could sleep. Groggily stumbling to Dan's door, he could hear light thumping noises coming from inside.

What the hell was he doing so early in the morning?

From lack of sleep, Phil didn't think to knock before he barged in, so the sight before him made his tired eyes grow wide. He could now hear the music clearly; a beautiful melody of piano and violin, topped off with soft singing to achieve a calming effect on whoever cared to listen.

Treading lightly, tightly shedding its old skin,
leaving trails of night for light to bring chagrin
while air grows thin.

The music was very relaxing, so much different from the blaring type that everyone listen to nowadays. It was much more beautiful too, especially when adding the gliding dancing of Dan, who was moving to the music with his eyes closed.

Phil leant against the door to hold himself up, watching as Dan lifted his leg high in the air, stretching it so it towered above his head before stepping onto his pointed toe to throw a perfect pirouette. Of all the things that could have surprised Phil, Dan doing ballet was definitely one of the most shocking.