7 | Aerosmith

The sound of forks clinking against plates was the only sound to be heard at the table.

I have to admit that Carol is a good cook, and tonight's meal is no exception.

"So are you still looking to get a job, Mason?" My dad speaks up. He's always the kind of person who feels the need to fill the silence with something.

"No, I got the job at the cafe. They called me yesterday." I explain before taking another bite.

"Oh, that's great." Carol smiles and the genuine expression almost throws me off. "When do you start?"

"Tuesday." I slowly chew the food in my mouth, purposely talking before I've swallowed to try and induce her normal reaction to me.

She just nods and takes a small bite of her food before dabbing the corners of her mouth with a napkin.

Since Monday -and probably the most amazing second date I've ever had- I applied for a few jobs in the shops on the main road.

Coincidentally, the first to get back to me was the coffee shop where Harry and I had our unofficial first date.

Today is Sunday and like always, Carol had dragged us to chruch this morning.

"What are you wearing?" Carol had crossed her arms as she took in my nicest pair of jeans and perfectly church appropriate blouse. "Go change. You're not going like that."

"Why not?" I had asked. "My dad says this is perfectly fine."

"No, go upstairs and put on the dress I laid out for you." She insisted.

I had just rolled my eyes, going back up to my room to change into the stupid dress. I didn't have the energy to fight with Carol.

Fifteen minutes later we walked out the door and I started heading toward the car.

"We're walking." My dad said before continuing down the driveway, hand in hand with Carol.

"Why?"

"Because fresh air is good for you, Mason." Carol had nearly snapped at me.

Following behind, I rolled my eyes when they weren't looking. But, for some reason I still felt as if I were being watched.

Sure enough, as we passed his house, I glanced up to see Harry smirking at me from his upstairs window.

He gave me a thumbs up and mouthed the words "nice dress."

I had responded with flipping him the bird, which only made him laugh; silent to my ears from the other side of the glass.

"What are you smiling at, Mason?" My dad's voice pulls me out of the memory of this morning and Harry's dimpled smile.

"Nothing. I -umm- I'm excited that I got the job is all." I lie.

He just nods and congratulates me once again. After ten minutes, everyone is done eating.

I take my plate over to the sink, rinse it and place it in the dishwasher before going back to the table for my glass and silverware.

"Where do you think you're going?" Carol raises an eyebrow.

"My room." I say slowly.

"No you're not, you haven't been excused."

I sigh. "Can I please be excused?"

"After you do the dishes." She replies before getting up from the table and walking into the living room. She sits down on the couch with her book, leaving her plate on the table.