Mom

Recap
I suddenly can't help the smile that overtakes my face.
*****
A curt knock is heard on Nathan's door.

"Malik, Max, if that's you two again don't even bother!" He growls.

The door slowly opens to reveal my mom with a sheepish smile on her face.

"Oh! Mrs. Zorro!" Nathan sits up abruptly with me wrapped into his arms.

"Mom!" I say at the same time.

"Oh don't mind me." She sits at the edge of the bed. "I just wanted to say that your pack is lovely. It's been so long since I've had one to call my own that I've forgotten what feeling of belonging it brings." She smiles.

Wow, my mom hasn't been this open to anyone besides my dad and I. Maybe she is warming up to him.

"Thank you." Is all Nathan can reply with. His mouth is agape with no words leaving his mouth.

Speaking of my dad.

"Mom, where's dad?" I ask.

"Oh he's still meeting pack members." She has a thoughtful look on her face. "I think the last place I left him was with a group of men downstairs."

Nathan hums, "Do they happen to be two blonds, a brunette, and an inky haired man?"

"Yes how'd you know?" She asks.

He scoffs, "Well for one my father and his best friend are two of those men and my best friend and his cousin are probably the two blonds. They like to do this 'initiation' for new men that enter the pack." My mate shrugs.

"What kind of initiation?" I ask, my brows suddenly furrow as a pit grows in my stomach.

"Oh nothing serious. Childish games like darts, pool, tests of strength, racing. Little things like that." He assures, but it doesn't work.

My mom and I share the same look of worry. "Oh no." We say in sync and dart out the door. Nathan comes running after us.

"What's the rush?"

"Brian takes things too far. He's a child in a grown man's body when it comes to challenges!" My mom answers.

We continue on with the conversation as we jog to where my mom last left him.

"My mom once challenged him to a race when I was younger. Instead of shifting like she did, he rode a dirt bike."

"What's wrong with that?"

"He doesn't know how to ride a dirt bike. He fell off and shifted in mid air just to get ahead of her."

Nathan slows down his steps. "Damn that's some determination." He quickly speeds up again. "That actually sounds really cool..."

I groan. "You're just as bad."

Once we reach a large dining hall, my mom abruptly stops. "They were right here."

"Well, where could he have gone?" I say frantically.

Nathan gives a thoughtful look with a scrunch of his brows and cross of his strong arms. "Well actually, they're probably at-"

Nathan is cut off by a crash coming from upstairs and next thing you know my dad is seen surfing downstairs on a mattress head to head with a brunette wolf and a black wolf. The two wolves skip the last few steps only to skid across the floor when they attempt to make a turn for the kitchen. The brunette growls until he crashes against a distant wall and the black wolf growls with gusto when he catches his footing. Only to give a look of annoyance when my, oh so embarrassing, dad hops onto his back with a battle cry. The event turns from a race into a rodeo.

"Dad?" Nathan shouts with shock. The look of shock is soon wiped clear with one of amusement.

"Your Dad?" I ask completely embarrassed of my father quite literally riding his.

"Yeah, that's my dad." He snickers. It quickly turns into such a laughing fit that he has to hold his stomach.

"Wait, who were those people I met before?" I ask, now confused.

"It's a bit complicated, but my parents can't just up and leave their pack when I need to get my act together some place else. Therefore, my aunt and uncle took part in raising me as if I were their own." He explains, even though he has tears from laughter in his eyes.

Nathan's dad begins bucking and jerking his body in a way akin to a bull. Yet my dad continues to hold on as if he's some professional.

"You're not getting rid of me that easily Mr. Blood!" He shouts proudly.

Just as that is said, Nathan's dad abruptly stops to turn his head towards my dad with a glare and a snort. It doesn't take long for him to start bucking again.

So much for a good first impression. I think to myself.

I stare wide eyed at the two.

"Brian!" My mom growls menacingly.

That's all it take's for the whole room to freeze. Unfortunately, the abruptness makes my father fly off of Mr. Blood's back and behind the couch connecting to the kitchen.

I gulp and somewhat bow my head. "Hello, Mr. Blood...I am your son's mate, Jasmine." I laugh nervously.

Mr. Blood shifts behind the kitchen counter, which, thankfully, blocks any view from below. "Oh! Yes, Jasmine, how nice to meet you." He clears his throat. "I apologize for the informalities..."

"Oh no! I apologize on my Dad's behalf." I blush. "You've already seemed to have met my father so I'd like to introduce my mom-" As I turn to face my mom's direction, I quickly realize that she is not there. "Uh, mom?" I turn towards where my father flew to see her pulling at his ears and growling out words in a hushed tone.

"What did I tell you about doing things like this?" She hisses.

"But honey!" My dad starts.

She pulls at his ear harder. "Don't, 'but honey,' me! We are guests here! Act like it." Her eyes nearly glow. "I can't believe you!"

"He started it!" He groans, still on his knees, just eye level with her as his ear continues to be abused.

"Yeah, well I'm about to start putting my foot up your,"

"Mom!" I cut off.

Nathan is no help. I turn to see his laugh so suppressed that I only hear silent wheezing.

A beautiful plump woman with raven hair and green eyes, appears from the steps with a welcoming smile. "You three will fit in just great here."

I'm somewhat confused as to who she is until she walks over to Nathan's dad and plants a soft kiss on his lips as she hands him some clothes.

"Oh, hey mom." Nathan smiles.