Now all I need is some scientist from the state's technical institute to bottle my little mate's powers.

¥¥

I'm sitting in the living room of the Alpha House, waiting on Barb. It's not like I willingly want to wait up for Barb to make sure she gets home safe. No, I just so happened to be informed by one of the pack grandmothers that Barb had left and she said that my mate would find it sweet if I were to wait for her to safely get home.

But who cares what that old hag thinks? I don't. I'm only going through with this stupid ordeal because I "promised" her at the weekly pack picnic dinner that I would wait for Barb. I don't need more problems from the pack council. They always talk of how all of the pack can see the problems and tension between me and the Luna. I roll my eyes. Some crappy Luna she is. But I have to make the pack feel "safe" and "stable".

I hear an obnoxious giggle, followed by the front door closing. I sigh. Finally. Barb walks around the corner with her phone pressed against her ear.

I'm guessing she didnt expect me to be sitting there, because as soon as she looked up she screamed and dropped her phone. With my Alpha hearing I could literally hear her screen crack into a million pieces. I raised my eyebrow at Barb, who was currently clutching at her chest.

"What the hell, Joshua? You nearly gave me a heart attack! Why the hell are you sitting here in the dark! It's like 1 a.m. in the morning!"

I snort. "The reason is obvious. I'm being a darling mate, waiting up for my sweetheart of a mate!" I respond in a sickly sweet voice.

Barb, being the usual ignorant person that she is, sighed in dismay. "Oh, but honey, I told you I wouldn't be in until late."

"Yes you did, but you never told me where," I tell her, standing up and walking towards her.

Barb laughs nervously and tries to back away discreetly. "I- uh-I was just out and a bout. Hey, why don't we just head on up and go to sleep, yeah?" She asked, trying to wave off the matter.

"No, Barb. We are going to stay right here and you are going to tell me where you have been for the past seven hours," I tell her, standing between her and the staircase.

Barb lets out a frustrated breath. "Why the hell do you care all of a sudden? It's not like you actually care unless when you pretend you do when we are in front of pack members," she tells me hotly.

"Because I 'promised' one of the old hags in front of the whole pack that I would be a sweet mate and wait up to make sure you got home safely."

Barb huffed in annoyance and tried to get by me.

I grabbed her arm and slammed her against the wall. "I asked you where you went tonight that was more important than showing your face at the stupid picnic dinner. You know we have to be together in front of the pack, we already have enough tension. I don't need more council members questioning our relationship! They are questioning the stability of the pack! They are questioning me!" I roar in her face.

Barb quivers in fear against the wall.

"Barb, how stupid do you think I am? Of course I know what you've been doing. I can smell him on you! Did you not think that my Alpha senses would allow me to smell him! Oh, wait. I should be saying them. I've known about it since the first time you came home smelling of sex and alcohol. You're lucky no one else is able to smell it!"
I hear noises above me on the floor where some pack members live.

"Well now they really know of our problems, huh?" She whispers.

I push her away from me. She fell to the floor with a gasp. She looked up at me with crocodile tears running down her face.

"Get out of my sight before I finally put an end to this tortuous mating," I threaten, completely serious.
Barb hurries out of the room before I completely lose it. She knows not to test whether or not I'm serious.
I hear the front door open and close, multiple feet hurrying towards me.

Two of my buddies, Micah and Sam, turn the corner, surprised to find me in the main hall. Micah hurries over to me.

"Alpha, we might have a problem."

"What?" I snap.

Micah flinches, and I only take slight satisfaction in the fear my Alpha voice evokes from him. "Council member Bram is missing, along with some of his friends."

"So?" I ask, annoyed.

"He left a note...." Micah trailed off, unsure.

"Saying...?"

"'Revenge is coming and it's bittersweet'."

Shit.

Ideas are welcome. <3 y'all.