Chapter 49: Nefertiti

Amenhotep had decided to announce our new religion and his new name at the ceremony to introduce Kiya’s baby boy to the people. I wasn’t certain what I thought of this, but I knew one thing: we were going to have to move.

There was no way we could stay in Thebes. There were several problems with remaining in Thebes. First, Thebes was the center of the old Egypt, the center of its old religion. There was too much of the old hanging around, and it would create a drag of hostility on our new religion. Secondly, people were bound to be angry over the change, and it would no longer be safe in Thebes. Lastly, a new religion symbolically needed a new place, a new start.

So we would be moving. Where we would move was another question. But I knew we would move.

I prepared myself for the ceremony for Tutankhaten’s naming. It took a while as my servants did my hair and makeup, but soon I was dressed.

I wore a long linen dress with lots of pleats to make it a comfortable fit in my condition. Around my eyes I had a startling shade of green kohl and black kohl to highlight my lids and eyelashes. My lips, cheeks, and nails were colored with henna dye to make them appear redder.

I also wore a thick golden collar around my neck with many different clay amulets — mostly tiny clay ankhs — and semi-precious stones such as lapis lazuli and quartz. My wrists were cuffed with gold bands inlaid with silver and gems.

For shoes, I had donned a pair of delicately woven rush sandals, and I had offset the sandals with an anklet or two on one ankle.

Once finished, I walked down the cool halls of the palace, heading for the balcony from which Amenhotep planned to announce the birth of his son, our new religion, and his name change. It wasn’t too far from my quarters — something I was immensely grateful for.

I walked out onto the balcony to be greeted with shouts and cheers. People spread out in waves below the balcony, staring up at me, Amenhotep, Kiya, and the baby.

I stood still, staring down at them, leaning against Amenhotep for a moment. He patted my back, a silent gesture of support, and turned to the crowd. It was time for it to begin. Now was when our religion would be launched.

“My people! Fellow Egyptians…” Amenhotep began. “I have good news of all sorts today. The first, and the foremost, is that I have an heir. I present to you my son, Tutankhaten!” He took the baby carefully from Kiya and held him up to let the people see him.

I smiled as I saw how happy my husband was. I could almost forget the guilt and shame I felt for not having been the heir’s mother when I saw that smile on his face. He was so proud of his son, so happy that he had one.

And he had shown every ounce of that joy when Meritaten had been born as well. He had no less joy over his heir than he had over his young daughter. I truly had a gem of a man for a husband. I didn’t deserve such a kind, loving husband.

I smiled wider as the people waved at us, calling out our names and cheering. Everyone was rejoicing with the royal family at this new development and celebrating the arrival of Egypt’s heir — Tutankhaten.

Amenhotep gave Tutankhaten back to Kiya and raised his arms, addressing the crowd again. “But, I have another announcement to make. From here on out, the old gods are no longer to be worshipped. They are false… The only true god is the Aten, whom you see shining above us in the sky. He is the only one to be worshipped. All funding to the other temples will be cut off and new temples will be constructed for the purpose of worshipping the Aten.”

The cheers and clapping faded away.

A stunned silence fell over the entire crowd.

If someone had dropped a coin, you could have heard the metallic clink loud and clear in the space. Silence reigned over everything.

Amenhotep frowned, unsure of what to do.

“Go on… You cannot stop now, love. If you do, you will not have the strength to finish.” I instructed softly.

He nodded, steeling himself.

I could sense his fear and worry over the crowd’s silent response. They should have been happy and joyful that we had liberated them from their captivity to false gods, but instead they greeted our announcement with harsh, unrelenting silence.

Amenhotep cleared his throat. “Yes, well… In honor of this glorious occasion, I am taking a new name. From henceforth, I shall be known as Akhenaten! Now… Anyone who wishes to join me on a pilgrimage to discover a new site for the new capital city, Akhetaten, may do so. We are leaving tomorrow night, so pack up your things and be at the gates of the palace by then if you are going!”

The silence continued on, deafening and ear-breaking in its continuous, unrelenting noiselessness. The crowd’s stunned gaze followed us as we retreated from the balcony.

I thought that we were all a bit stunned by the reaction the crowd had given. Why weren’t they happy about this change? Wasn’t some change long overdue after so long spending our lives in unchanging monotony?

Apparently, the people didn’t think so.

“Why did they not respond with enthusiasm?” Amenhotep — now Akhenaten — asked me.

I shook my head, bewildered. I whispered my answer because the silence was still so stifling it felt sacrilegious to do otherwise. “I do not know… But like it or not, a new era has been ushered in, Akhenaten. They will either adapt or fall to the wayside…”

He nodded. “Yes… A new era has been brought about. There is nothing that can stop us now.”

Kiya stood behind us, as silent as the rest of the crowd had been.

No one spoke, all of us afraid to break the silence lest a great wave should come rushing in and break us all.

It was the thin, hungered wail of Tutankhaten that brought us to our senses. My words finally began to sink into our minds, and we looked at each other in silence and a little trepidation. What would this new announcement bring?

Whatever it brought, the five of us — if we included Tutankhaten and Meritaten — would face it together. Because my initial bravado had been correct. A new era was being ushered in and it was moving far too rapidly now for any of us to stop it.

This was it. This was where it all took off or ended. And I was fairly certain that it was going to take off and soar.