Chapter 23

>Quinn< 

  Aaron and I talked the entire day. We picked a lighter topic then before. Talking about our early years. Well, mostly he talked; I had lost my entire memory three years ago. I told him about my robbing. About Aspen, and Misty the nymphs, and showed him the necklace Aspen had given me. Invisible hands served some dinner. “It happens every night   and day. It just appears, and then somehow disappears.” Aaron assured me. After the sun set, we talked halfway through the night before falling asleep. I had neither dreams nor nightmares. I woke up to Aaron gently shaking me awake. “Hey. It’s the first of the month,” Aaron said quietly.

              “’The Games’?” I asked tiredly.

          “Yes. Merlock or one of his men should be up here soon to take us to the arena.”

          “Oh,” I replied quietly.

          “I’ll make sure nothing happens to you,” Aaron responded as he took my hand in his.

        “Likewise,” I responded blushing.  We sat there. Suddenly, we heard the footsteps of many coming up the stairs. The door swung open. Merlock wasn’t with the group and neither was Leo. I recognized both guys from the night of my capture, and a few others I had never seen. Aaron dropped my hand, as they told us to file down the stairs. They led us to the throne room. Yet, there was no sign of Balios. They blindfolded us, and led us into what I guess was a carriage. An hour, or what felt like it, we were pushed onto the ground. They made us walk for awhile. I think we must have entered a building. Suddenly, the blindfolds came off. We were standing in a large room with a low ceiling. On the walls was a collection of weapons. I noticed my double swords and harness was in the collection. A bow, and arrows, a large sword, a case of throwing knives, a couple daggers, and a battle axe. 

            “The rules are simple, stay alive. Or die I honestly couldn’t care less. Pick your weapons. You may have a maximum of two different types of weapons. Then I’ll take Quinn with me to another part of the arena. Aaron you will go through this door when it opens. Quinn you will fight an opponent, and then go through a maze full of traps. If you get out of the maze, you will meet up with Aaron. Aaron, you will be fighting a monster. You may or may not have to save Quinn from the maze. I suggest you try to find her.  You may use your powers to stay alive. That is all. I’ll be back in a couple of minutes to collect Quinn,” one of the boys said.                     

    When he left, Aaron and I stood still for awhile. “Well, they’ve never done ‘The Games’ like this before.” We moved to the wall of weapons. Aaron attached a sword to his side, and then picked a dagger up. I already had a hunting knife in my boot, so I would have three weapons. I picked up my double swords, and throwing knives. The harness on one of the sides had slits for knives. I slid the throwing knives into the slots. “Good choice,” Aaron nodded. 

            “Thanks. Same to you,” I smiled. Then the boy entered the room, and told me to follow him to my part of ‘The Games.’ He led me through a labyrinth of tunnels, till we came to a door.  He pushed the door open. 

    “Go through the door when it opens, “he said pointing to a door on the other side of the room. Then he pushed me through the door, and slammed it shut. I heard a key lock the door. All I could do was wait.