Chapter 22

>Quinn<

 The sun woke me up.  I opened my eyes slowly. I was in another tower.  Pretty large. Melted chains from last night. And two beds. I slept on one closest to the wall. On the other closest to the window was a boy. He was about my age. Aaron had brown curly hair, and blue-green eyes. He was taller than me, and had a muscular build. Aaron wore a red shirt, and brown pants, lastly mid-calf brown boots. I sat up quietly. Aaron was asleep. The last member of the team. Someone who had full control of the elements. What about me? Was I rested enough to move anything? I sat up cross-legged. The chains would be heavy, but they were the only thing in this tower. I opened my hand and lifted it. The chains rose from the ground. “Well that’s impressive,” a voice rang disturbing my thoughts. The chains clunked onto the ground. I looked up at Aaron who was wide awake. His gaze was unwavering. “I’m just guessing, but you’re not who you really say you are. So Sue let’s start again. I’m Aaron.”

      “Quinn,” I replied holding his gaze. His gaze was briefly startled. 

      “So finally, we meet,” Aaron said smiling and quickly shaking my hand. “That explains the telekinesis. I have one question.”

       “Shoot.”

           “The fire lotus?”

      “I’m being followed by a fire fox and a dragon. The fox branded me with the element I was born of, whatever that means.  Here look at this,” I showed him the fire symbol on my arm. 

       “Look at this,” he replied. Lifting up the sleeve of his shirt he showed me a tattoo. It was a raindrop. Inside the raindrop was a giant tree, there was a fire in the background, then there was the night sky with a large full moon. “I’ve had it since I can remember.”

      “It’s nice,” I replied. 

       “I’ve got another question.”

       “And I may have an answer,” I answered with a smile.

       “Sadira, Sam, and my brother-“

       “Sadira, and your brother are fine, as far as I know.” I replied quietly. I was still thinking of Sam. 

    “Sam?”

    “It’s a long story,” I told him. I didn’t want to tell him that Sam was probably going to die, because of me. James could probably take care of him, but when the wound had gone to Sam I was half dead. My gaze dropped to my stomach was there even a scar? I knew that Aaron’s eyes were on me. But, I was too curious. I lifted my black shirt up displaying my stomach. There was nothing there. It seemed impossible. Aaron kneeled in front of me.

         “What happened?” I didn’t answer. Aaron put both of his hands on my shoulders, “Quinn? Answer me. What happened?”

  “There was a fight. I was fighting an evil spirit thing. She killed me, kind of. She stabbed me with my own knife. Everything is fuzzy from there. I know that Sam saved my life, before she—well you know. Then I was lying there. I remember it was raining, I was cold. Then I heard voices. Sam said something. After, I heard Merlock. Then Anna, Sadira, James, Merlock, and Sam arguing. I don’t remember what happened after that, I think I passed out. I later learned that Sam took the wound. Meaning James transferred the wound to Sam. Then Merlock took me. I woke up in chains. Sam could be dead. It’s my entire fault.” I buried my face in my hands. Aaron moved next to me on the bed. He put an arm awkwardly around my shoulders.

   “There isn’t a more competent healer than my brother. Sam won’t die. I promise you. We have bigger things to worry about,” Aaron said softly.

    “What?” I asked looking at him.              

    “Do you know why you are here?” Aaron asked his arm still around me. 

    “I figured it was the same thing as before.”

    “What do you mean?”

   “Well, when I met James I had been captured in Krow. So I figured this is just another of Merlocks captures. Where am I, by the way?” 

       “Krevi.  It’s another of Balios’ districts.”

   “Oh. Why didn’t he just take me back to Krow?”

  “I’d guess he wants to put you in ‘The Games’.”

    “What’s that?” I asked. I think I may have heard about it before.

    “Balios’ idea of fun, I guess. Every month he throws someone and me, into an arena with some wild concoction of a beast. Usually he throws some peasant, farmer, robber, or anyone who displeases him.”

  “What happens to them?” I asked although I already knew the answer.

 “They-“

  “Die?”

  “Yeah.”

     “Im sorry.”

 “Why?”

  “Because every month you have to watch someone die. It must be awful.”

  “It is. But, things will be different this time,” Aaron said with a small smile.

  “Why?”

  “You’re here. This time there is more power on my side,” Aaron replied. His eyes seemed to draw me in. I smiled feeling shy and nervous. Is it possible to have a crush on someone you met moments ago? Looking into Aaron’s eyes I knew he was thinking the same thing.