Twenty-Four

Alex's POV:

We'd just beaten Southampton 2-0 and were on top of the world. I hadn't scored but had made a lovely assist and I'd seen that social media was saying good things about me. Jordie had been watching at the stadium, on his own this time, and was due to meet me in the room again in a bit. I was a little worried that, because he was alone this time, he might get lost or face some problems, but I assured myself that Jordie was a smart lad and that he'd find some way around any difficulties.

It hadn't been long since I'd told my teammates about Jordie's existence. They'd all been understandably surprised but also very supportive and happy for me. Numerous players had also asked to see him and I knew that he'd be well up for it, so I'd planned for him to meet me and then come through and see some of my teammates. He was very excited because, to him, they were famous footballers - some of his idols - and he was actually getting to meet them. I was glad they were getting to meet him too because I was very proud of my oldest child and happy to show him off.

After I'd done my recovery and got changed, I left the changing room and travelled upstairs to the room that Jordie should've been in. I looked through the window in the door and luckily, there he was. Smiling, I said hi to the guy on the door and opened the door. Jordie looked up as I walked in.

"Hey Alex." He said.

"Hey Jord." I replied. "Do you want to go downstairs and meet some of the team?"

His eyes widened and he nodded frantically, grinning.

"Alright then, I'll take that as a yes." I laughed, opening the door again. I slipped out and Jordie followed me.

"So do they know about me?" He asked as we started walking down a flight of stairs.

"Yep, I told them not too long ago. Not the whole story really, just that your mum didn't tell me and I only found out recently that you exist."

"That's cool, do they know I'm coming down now?"

"No, I haven't told them, but some have been asking to meet you anyway so this'll be a nice sunrise for them." I joked.

"Really? They've been asking to see me?" He grinned.

"Yeah, and they've heard you play, so expect some football-related small talk."

Jordie laughed as we reached the bottom of the stairs.

"This stadium is massive." He marvelled. "I can't believe they can fit so much into it."

"I know. All this bit is changing rooms, press rooms, physio rooms, just general recovery rooms, every type of room you'd need as a footballer. They've got offices too, here there and everywhere. To be honest, I haven't explored half of it."

Jordie looked around. "It must have cost a lot of money though." He remarked.

"Sure did. But a football club like this isn't short of cash."

We reached the right door and I pushed it open, holding it for Jordie. Some of my teammates were in there and looked up at my entrance.

"Who's this Alex?"

"Is he a youth player?"

"No, are you guys dumb? That's his son."

"Alex, is this your son?"

There was a jumble of voices and Jordie stood awkwardly as I laughed.

"This is him, lads." I replied.

"He's a tall one, isn't he mate? Definitely didn't get your genes there." Said one of my teammates.

"Shut up man, he's thirteen. Thirteen year-olds are tall these days." I replied.