Natalia Borgia - Chapter Twelve

I twirled a rose between my fingers as I sat out in the garden. Placing the small rose in my hair  I continued on with artwork. Slowly I was getting better but I had nothing but time on my hands. It had only been a few days since I had moved into my "mother" villa.

"I hear congratulations are in order" I turn round quickly and a huge smile breaks out on my face.

"Giulia Farnese" I stand and make my way towards her. She embraces me before pulling away.

"To what do I owe the pleasure, come sit" she takes a seat on the chair next to me. Amara with the help of her nurse maid stands. I smile at her then turn my attention back to Giulia

"Apart from the glorious news that the Lady Natalia has not only returned married but is carrying her second child?"

"Well it is public knowledge now anyway. But I am happy that you found enough time to visit me." she taps my hand.

"Well I have found a suitor."

"That is wonderful, and does this suitor have a name?"

"HIs name is Vincenzo Salvatore."

"Oh, and will I get to meet the suitor of one of my closest friends anytime soon?" I asked and she sighed

"You might, but I would ask that his Holiness meet him first, I wish to have his blessing. I know that Vanozza is closer to him once more. And I wish to ask her if she would broche the subject. If I have his blessing then, yes you can meet him."

"That is good, I am happy you have found someone to your choosing."

"How does your drawing come along?" she asked me and I picked up the sketches as she reached to hold Amara.

"I am better than I once was. Although there are far more daintier than what I draw. But it is early, I have nothing but time now."

"You wished to see me Giulia Farnese" Our attention was taken from my drawings to Vanozza

"Yes" I was handed Amara and Giulia smile down at me before following my mother in law. I stood Amara up and she giggled.

"oh, piccolo. So innocent of the world around you."  I pinch her cheeks she reached up toward me and I sat her on my  lap.

" You look so much like you papa"

"Papa" I grinned her first word

"That's right good girl, can you say mama? say mama"

"Mama" she put her hand on my chest.

"Good girl" I raised her high and she giggled with delight. I brought her back down "Your papa will be so proud upon his return.

---------

Sitting in the library with Vanozza I read the poets with a sleeping Amara on my shoulder. I haven't had the heart to move yet.

"She spoke her first two words yesterday." I comment and she looks up

"Really, how marvellous. What did she say?"

"Her first word was papa" she smiled " I then told her to say mama and she copied me."

"The proudness you feel in that moment is unlike anything else in the world each experience is better than the next."

"I know...what was Cesare like as a child?" she closed her book and thought

"So kind and caring. He put others before himself and wished to please his father more than anything. "

"It has come to my attention that he has matured and grown out of what he used to be. I'm sure you've noticed."

"I have" she agreed "Do you remember how you were before your parents passing?" I laughed softly.

"Looking back I was a very happy child, I remember having my father chase me around the gardens and my mother laughing at the spectacle. One day a week she sent the staff home to be with their families and she would make us all help cook our own food. The three of us in the kitchen making soup, roast beef and a selection of dessert. " I smiled to myself. "Everything was simple back then, I had not a care in the world." I sighed

"But things changed"

"Do you wish you could change them?"

"Never, my experiences made me who I am. If my parents had not died then I would have never lived with my uncle and it is unlikely i would have made the acquaintance of Cesare. That is something I would not have. I love him."

"As I love you" I jumped and Amara began to cry.

"Cesare must you scare me so. Shhh, shhh, It's okay little one, it's okay." he strode over and kissed my head and his daughter's then his mothers

"I think it's time for some food don't you."

-----

"She writes to us, tells us her every move is watched." Vanozza told Cesare as he pour himself some wine.

"She should wear a veil then." he replied

"Why?" I ask as he rubs his thumb over my knuckle. Vanozza brought our bowls over

"To hide her true feelings"

"She loves this husband, Cesare, she chose him."

"Is it only me he disappoints"

"You are no longer the only one, my love" I comment sipping on some water.

"You both are too harsh." she chided

"When I pleaded her son's case to the King, her husband just sat there beside me saying nothing."

"Naples is not Rome" I flipped  my serviette on my lap

"And Naples may soon not even be Naples. A French presence there would see they did our bidding."

"A French presence there would end her marriage for good" Vanozza starts to dish out the soup that has been prepared. "She hopes to wield some influence, Cesare, on the next heir to the throne."

"And just how will she manage that?"

"Through your Father. The investiture of the crown still lies with the Pope, does it not?" I asked smiling a little knowing what she hoped to achieve

"Not the choice of who wears it."

"What power has a crown without papal investiture?"

"Cleaver girl." we started eating