Natalia Borgia - Chapter Five

"I still cannot believe that he would be idiotic enough to even attempt to kill your father." I shake my head. I had been informed that the former Cardinal Orsini attempted to murder the Holy Father.

"Well God served justice swift" Cesare replied

"Through the vicar himself no less." I replied and continued to eat.

"Natalia."

"Hummm" I wiped my lips and took a sip of wine.

"Do you no longer feel anything for the Orsini family?" he asked as he too drank some wine.

"They were extended family I never truly met, no bond, or loyalty. We simply share a name and I used that excuse already. I warned what would happen if he or his family tried anything. Like your father said I am a Borgia name or not."

"Soon you shall be my love, " I smiled softly towards him

____________________________________________________________________________

I sat outside under and tent with Amara playing with her toys on the blankets. I sit with some parchment sketching. It was a new hobby of mine which I was bad at but I like to attempt to get better in time.

"Lady Natalia" I look up to see, Prince Alfonso."

"Your highness" I bowed my head

"Have we not reached the point where you may call me Alfonso?"

"Very well, Alfonso." he smiled at me.

"May I" he gestured toward Amara and I nod. He moved  to sit down and play with her.

"Might I ask you a question?"

"You just have but you may ask another one." I jested i put down my horrible artistry and give him my attention.

"Is his Lord Cesare always so...intimidating?" I laughed

"Is the dear prince having trouble making peace with his future brother in law?"

"You find it amusing." I slowly stop laughing.

"Somewhat. I apologise, unfortunately I never had to be in the place you are now.  Tell me Alfonso, why do you find him intimidating?"

"I believe it is his demeanour, like he wants to kill me."

"He proberly does" he looks shocked "Sorry, I mean you should not think anything of it. If you weren't marrying his sister he may not seem like such a caveman. "

"He does not think me worthy"

"It is not fault against you, I assure you. It's just in the case of Lucrezia no man would be ever good enough in his eyes. The most you can hope for is his respect, which you'd still have to work at."

"How would I gain it"

"The matter is simple the mission however could prove hard."

"Yes."

"Lucrezia.  You must devote yourself to her, she is the Lucrezia Borgia, only daughter of the pope of Rome. She has to have your complete loyalty. Not Naples, Not your Uncle just her. Well her and Giovanni. You prove your  unwavering loyalty to them then he will respect you." he nodded and I decided to read the poets instead.

----------

I bumped into Lucrezia as I went to see Cesare.

"If you are looking for your betrothed, he is in there." she smiled at me

"Thank you. You know Lucrezia, I was just talking with your future husband."

"Oh about what?"

"My future husband . Cesare intimidates him." she chuckled "It's rather adorable. He seeks his approval but he afraid to show what we both know he can be."

"Yes, but I guess that is what makes me love him so"

"I will talk to you soon, Cesare leaves once more to talk dowry with the King of Naples and I would like to see him before he leaves early." I departed and arrived to where Cesare was having a shirt being fitted.

"It is moments like these I know I am lucky to have such a handsome future husband."

"I have moments every time I see you."

"When do you leave"

"Early tomorrow"

"And will I see you before i close my eyes or not?" I walk over and step in.

"You will" I sigh

"What is wrong, my love"

"I miss you when you are away. It does not help that the King of France wishes me to visit. Did you know that he has even suggested that we marry over there?"

"I did not know"

"He does and he is sending his ambassador over to have a audience with the Holy Father. Of which he has asked me to partake in."

"Are you happy?"

"With his requests? I do not know. I mean it would be lovely to see him but I thought we would have our wedding here, like all the Borgia's."

"Then maybe we should plan the wedding here then."

"Do you think so?"

"As long as I am finally married to you I do not care where we are married"

"You are right, this is about us."

-------

The next morning he was gone and  I sat near his Holiness waiting for the ambassador of France to arrive.

"Presenting his Excellency, the Duke of Aquitaine, Ambassador of the court of his Highness Louis the 12th of France." he strode in and bowed before taking a couple of the steps and kissed the papal ring."

"We are honoured to receive the ambassador from France."

"And France is most deeply honoured to be so received." he replied.

"May I introduce, His Highness' niece the Lady Natalia." the Duke turned and bowed to me and I bowed my head in acknowledgment."

"Your new King Louis the 12th sends his ambassador. Tell me does he bring murmurings of peace or of war?"

"Peace, Your Holiness"

"Tell us more of this considerate young man" I smiled slightly at his comment

"He has the energy of youth and the wisdom of age. He is attentive to council but decisive in his own authority. Also a caring uncle towards his only niece. And most of all, he wishes no discord with Rome or her pope."

"Are we to believe his is without fault?" the ambassador looked a little uncomfortable as if he knew something.

"Well you could perhaps, were you not to meet his wife."

"His wife" the Holy Father looked at me then back at the ambassador

"It is the most unfortunate match. The shame of France. Arranged of course when he was only a child. Back then no one knew how she would develop. And now we know all we can do is wish for an act of God." that to me sounded like he was secretly implying for a annulment

"My apologies Your Holiness. I have entirely forgotten myself. Please forgive me."

"No, you have our forgiveness. Let us talk further, if you so desire of the shame of France" he bowed in gratitude.