eighteen

By the time I get to the buses it's 8:03.
Thankfully I got ready before the interview so I wasn't super late.

"There you are, i was beginning to think you were gonna stand me up.", Awsten jokes.

He looks amazing.
He has on black jeans, a black button up shirt, a white bow tie, and converse on.

"Sorry about that, the interviewer kept asking me awkward questions.", I explain.

"No worries.", he smiles.

"So, will you tell me where we're going now?"

"Nope."

He opens the car door for me and I sit down.

"Where did you even get this car? It's so fancy.", i ask as he sits down in the drivers seat.

"I rented it for the night.", he explains.

"Why? You don't need to spend money on me, Aws. I would have been perfectly fine with walking or a taxi.", i say feeling bad he wasted money.

"Don't worry about it, and it's our first date. It has to be perfect.", he backs the car up out of the way of the buses.

I just smile at the floor.
I can't believe I'm on a date with Awsten.

"By the way, you look absolutely gorgeous.", he compliments me.

I forgot what I wore until I looked down and saw a light pink bodycon dress with black heeled boots.

"Thank you, you look great too.", I smile at him.

I realize how nervous I am.
My legs are shaking, my heart is racing.

Then he puts his right hand on top of mine and it all melts away.

We interlock our fingers and sit like that the whole ride to the destination.

He stops the car at an entrance to the woods.

As we get out of the car he holds my hand again causing me to smile.

"I think this is the part where I'm supposed to ask if you're going to murder me.", i say as he brings me closer to the woods.

"I think this is the part where I'm supposed to say yes."

I put my free hand over my heart in awe, "I'm so glad we're not cliche."

He chuckles and brings me deeper into the woods.

"Question.", i speak up.

"Answer."

"It's really dark, what are we going to do if a bear comes out of nowhere?"

"Give up and die?", he says in more of a question tone.

"That's how i always wanted to go, you get me!", i fake gush.

"I know, I'm just so perfect.", we laugh until we hear leaves rustling.

I grip his hand tighter.

"We're almost there.", he reassures me as we get closer to a light.

Once we reach it, I almost cry.

There's a table surrounded by rose petals, two chairs across from each other, a picnic basket, candles, a portable CD player, and there are fairy lights strung throughout the surrounding trees.

"Awsten, this is so beautiful.", i say hugging him.

"Nothing but the best for you.", he says and leads me to the table.

He places fruits, cooked fish, and vegetables on a plate next to two cups of water.

"Oh and I have cake for after.", he smiles.