Loss

Chapter 33

Adelaide's POV:

A warm breeze caressed my cheek, reminding me of the warm summer days I used to spend with my brothers.

Family, the word sounded foreign, as if they never even existed at all. As if I never existed. Nathaniel's disapproving gaze was burned into the back of my memory. That gaze was a trademark of his, he didn't seem to wake up without it.

A sigh escaped my lips, I felt soulless. Unmovable and unwilling to move on from my torment. Losing a loved one was never easy, but losing all of the family I've ever known was unbearable. I couldn't eat, for food made me want to gag. I couldn't sleep, for I was plagued by the lack of emotion in my mother's face as Caldwell stood over her limp body.

Caldwell was nothing but a distant memory now, or so I'd like to make myself believe. I traced my finger across the silken sheets of the bed beneath me, letting out another sigh.

A black fur ball emerged from the crack in the door as Neela rubbed her sleek body against my calves. A smile slowly tugged at my lips, as I scooped her up into my arms.

"Long time no see Neels," I chuckled, scratching in between her two ears. Her purrs got louder and louder with each scratch of my forefinger. She was a welcomed distraction from the harsh reality that seemed to surround my life. A reality that I've tried time and time again to escape from, but to no avail.

Neelas large saucer like eyes peered up into mine, as a loud mewing sound came from the back of her throat. Her purrs halted and her ears splayed backwards, as footsteps sounded against the stone stairs. Suddenly, my heart started to increase at an alarming rate, the thumps slamming against the inside of my ribcage as the steps got louder and louder. Caldwell's sick twisted gaze appeared for a quick moment, until the wooden door was thrusted open and a man in his late 60's appeared. I gulped, trying to calm the churning of my stomach as my nerves slowly relaxed.

"Hello Adelaide," he said hesitantly, nervously fiddling with his long slim fingers. "I didn't mean to startle you."

"You're fine...," I hesitantly responded, wondering why this man appeared to be so nervous.

"You look so much like your mother," he suddenly choked out, a glistening of droplets cascaded slowly down his pale cheeks.

"My mother? How do you know my mother?" I asked, suddenly taking a step back as my posture became rigid.

A sigh escaped his lips, as he scratched the back of his neck. "I'm your father, Adelaide," he confessed, his blue irises searching for acceptance and forgiveness. Little did he know, I had no intention to forgive, let alone believe that this man was who he said he was. It was impossible. I remember watching as the light drifted from my fathers eyes and when his breathing ceased. This man, couldn't be my father.

"Y-your...my...," I stuttered, unable to comprehend the words that were coming out of his mouth. "You can't be!" I shouted, taking another step back until my back slammed against the hard wooden door.

"I know you must hate me right now, but I couldn't just stand and do nothing while you were in Caldwell's clutches, enduring god knows what." He huffed out, his face turning crimson as he clutched his fists together in anger.

Caldwell's souless emerald eyes flashed before me again, quickly spiking my heart rate. He knew that I was his daughter this whole time...and never even bothered to tell me. Let alone be a part of my life.

"You're not my father, my father died by Caldwell's greed and need for power. He was the one that raised me, read bedtime stories to me, tucked me into bed and fought imaginary creatures with me. He was my father, not you." I spat out, glaring at the man before me, or should I say, stranger.

Silence engulfed the room, making it hard not to hear the sounds of my uneven breathing. His electric blue eyes cascaded downwards as a frown permanently etched itself into his rough features.

"I know I don't deserve your forgiveness, I wasn't there for you when I should've been. Hell, when Jasper died I tried to see you, to make sure you were safe. I knew Caldwell's power was rising and he'd come for you. But your mother insisted that I stay out of the picture, out of your life. That it was safer for you." He continued, unable to stop the words that were flowing from his mouth. "You have no idea how long I've waited and wanted to show myself to you. To teach you how to control the power that's residing inside you. That's trying to take control of you."

"How do you think this makes me feel?!" I cried out, "that you choose now to reveal yourself to me! Not when I needed an actual father in the midst of all this chaos, someone to tell me that everything's going to be okay! Even when I was drugged on opium, I cried myself to sleep every night. Begging for someone to relieve me from the torture my body was going through. You have no idea what I've endured without you and don't even try to empathize because I don't want your pity. If I can handle all of that then I can sure as hell can handle not having a father. Just get out."

"I didn't want to anger you, Addie, I just wanted to see the woman you've become," he uttered, seconds before closing the door in his wake.

Almost instantly, I flung myself onto the soft bedding and cried the hardest I've cried in a long time. How dare he come in here and turn my world upside down when it was already twisted. How dare he...

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Hi readers!! Here's the next chapter of ITNOTK and I hoped you loved it! Don't forget to comment, vote and add it to your reading list if you enjoyed this chapter :) I missed writing and I really want to get back into the swing of things so fingers crossed! Haha. I hope you guys have a fabulous weekend ;)

Love,
Natalie S.