Chapter 3| Fireflies.

Start from the beginning

The view alone felt like that one scene from my favourite Disney movie- the princess and the frog. I glance over at Jacob, to meet his gaze already focused onto me, and grin widely.

"This is something out of a fairytale book!" I exclaim.

Jacob smiles, his hazel brown eyes glistening under the moonlight with glee. He extends his hand and I take it instantly as he leads us across the stream, the faint sound of nighttime crickets getting deeper.

The sound of the flowing water beneath our feet is harmonious and the light buzz of the fireflies, magical. Jacob takes a seat on the oak log, and I hesitate.

"You sure it won't snap?" I ask with peering eyes as I stare at the water beneath us.

"Do you trust me?" Jacob asks with a smirk.

"No." I quickly reply with my own smirk. "I just met you."

A low, husky chuckle escapes from Jacob in response before meeting my gaze. "Take a seat, Brown." Jacob gestures to the empty space beside him.

I reluctantly sit down, and my worries vanish into the cold night by the feel of the sturdy wood balancing us. We sit in comfortable silence for a while, both hypnotised by the rushing water beneath us and the lit up forest of fireflies.

Jacob turns to me, and we talk about anything— everything. I found out that his nineteenth birthday is soon, and he raises a brow when I reveal I'm still only seventeen. After a few minor jokes about our age gap, we get into the real stuff and I find myself listening to his story so intently before revealing things to him that no one else knows, like my parents not being in the city when everyone else thinks they are.

"They left their seventeen year old daughter by herself?— in a place like Atlanta?" Jacob asks with furrowed brows.

"I'm not a baby Jacob—"

"I never said you were," he corrects me quickly. "But you're still a minor."

I nod and explain the relationship between my parents and I, and how sometimes it felt like they were strictly my managers rather than loving parents. I catch the quick pitiful expression washing over the dark features of Jacob's face and so I quickly change the topic into something more positive.

Jacob and I talk for hours, and I feel myself getting more comfortable with him by every passing moment. By the end of our conversation filled with laughter, jokes and a lot of personal stories, Jacob Sartorius and I are no longer strangers. I begin to get lost into our conversation and away from present day reality when Jacob's phone buzzes from his jean pocket and grabs our attention.

"What's up?" Jacob says as he brings the phone to his ear.

A moment passes, and a dark look shadows his face as he glances at me momentarily before nodding.

"I'll be there soon." Is all Jacob says before he taps on the screen and shoves it back into his pocket.

"Sorry princess, we have to cut our little moment short." Jacob tells.

A little pang of hurt strikes my chest, but I brush it off and reluctantly smile at him.

"Yeah— no of course, we've been here for a while now and I should probably go back—" I trail off as I pat my jacket pockets down, not feeling the familiar outlining of my phone.

"Shit—" I curse as I come to the realisation.

"What's wrong?"

"I think I left my phone in the party." I groan with a sigh.

A small chuckle escapes from Jacob. "You're only realising that now?"

I sigh again, and put my hands on my head. "You kinda forget about the real world when you're so caught up in a conversation."

Jacob nods before rising to his feet. "I know what you mean." he extends a hand out for me to take and helps me to my feet.

"Don't worry, the party is probably still going. I'll ask a friend if he's still there and he can look for it."

"No, I should probably go back and find it myself." I sigh, already feeling the nauseous sensation of the toxic atmosphere of Caleb's party.

Jacob must have noticed my worried look because he shakes his head in response.

"I'd feel safer walking you back to your hotel. My friends will find it— don't worry, princess."

My face lifts up slightly at the nickname.

"Is that going to be my new name?" I ask.

Jacob shrugs as we step off the wooden log, and make our way back through the forest.

"Maybe." Jacob says with a smile.

I arrive back to my hotel lobby with Jacob, who gives me a quick hug as a farewell before reassuring me that he would find my phone. At that moment I realise I do like Jacob, a lot. Aside for his obvious attractive looks and his drool worthy smile, he wasn't at all shallow as I expected him to be and I couldn't help but feel a little special by his decision to walk me back.

I make my way to the elevator, and the receptionist behind the desk sends me a quick side eye that I notice. In a little confusion, I come to the conclusion that she probably just recognises me from somewhere. I make my way to my master suite, removing my heels as they begin to ache my feet.

I hold my shoes in between my dainty fingers and step into the suite, only to find a figure leaning against the window with a dark look shadowing his expression, and my phone in his grip.

"You left something at the party." Finn Wolfhard reveals with a piercing stare.