22

A part of me wanted to stay for here in Central City for Christmas, but another part of me couldn't wait to be away and go home for a few days. I wanted to spend more time with Eddie because ever since last night I've had this giant smile on my face that appears every time I think of him. I knew that if I were to ask to see him again so soon though, he might run away. It was just so nice to feel this excited about someone and not immediately feel guilt afterwards.

It was going to be nice being with my mom for Christmas, though. It's been a while since she had both of her kids home with her. Will spends half of the year travelling. He saved up his entire life so he could travel the world and almost every Christmas he goes to some tropical island. He likes to get away from the cold in Star City, I don't blame him. I've thought about doing that every year, but I love spending Christmas with friends too much to just up and leave. I don't know how he does it.

"So, I invited your father and Cora to join us for dinner tomorrow night. The kids will be with them, too." My mom told me as she was preparing to brine the turkey overnight.

When my parents were divorced they made sure that they never told us their actual feelings towards each other in front of us. They wanted us, mainly me because I was so young, to form our own opinion on both our parents rather than hate one, but love the other. I always admired how mature they were about the situation. No matter how much my dad's marriage to Cora upset her, she never let that affect Will's and my relationship with him.

Cora wasn't terrible, but she wasn't great. She tried too hard to be a stepmom and as much as I appreciated her trying, I already had a mom and I didn't need her trying to be mine. I was so thankful when her and my dad had their own kids so she would stop trying so hard with me, but I felt terrible for my mom.

It's been so long now that it doesn't hurt her anymore, but the first couple of years were tough for her. The older I got, the more I understood her pain. It's hard to be left for someone else, I know that all too well.

"The gang all together, how fun." Will chimed in as he came into the kitchen, opening the fridge to grab the entire carton of chocolate milk. He opened it up and tilted his head back, drinking right out of the carton.

"Will! What the fuck?" I yelled at him as I tried to take the chocolate milk from him, but he put his hand on my forehead to hold me away from him. He was much taller than me. I got my mother's height, where he got our father's coming in at 6'5".

"You two still fight like you're 12." My mom rolled her eyes at us, closing the large cooler lid to let it brine overnight. "Could you two make yourselves useful and go pick up the chocolate for the Christmas Tree platter? I forgot to get it."

"And we can get more chocolate milk while we're at it." I glared at Will who finished drinking the entire carton and placed it on the counter, wiping his lips.

"And I'll drink them all." He winked at me.

"I hate you." I sighed as I grabbed my purse and headed for the door. "You're driving!" I yelled out to him as I made my way out the door.

I loved my brother – sometimes. He was great when he was looking out for me and being that caring older brother, but we still fought over the dumbest stuff. My mom was right; we did fight like we were 12, even though I'm in my late twenties and he's in his early thirties.

The drive there we talked about things that were going on in our lives. He just got home from Peru last week and agreed to spend Christmas with everyone this year. My mom practically begged him, but he thought it would be nice considering it's been so long. There wasn't anything super exciting about his life except for the adventures he has been experiencing, but we text pretty often about his travels so I'm pretty up to date. Whereas Will? He has no idea about the crazy shit that has gone down these last six months. It was best to fill him in.