In Charge

~ MiniMac POV ~

I wake up and turn over to look at the clock. Eight A.M. I listen for sounds of the shower running, anything to tell me that my sister is awake. Nothing. I shrug as I get up. Last night was tiring, and Elizabeth needs the sleep nearly as much as Dad.

I shower and dress, pour myself a bowl of cereal. It's nine by now. Something tells me to check on my little sister, but I ignore it. Do those few dishes I made and bring the laundry downstairs. I go to my room and realize there's a note on my magnetic message board.

Mac-

Couldn't sleep, left for work early. You're in charge. Call me if you need to.

-Dad

His number is at the bottom, just in case. No need, I have both his cell and his office numbers memorized. I look at my clock. It's eleven, and something really doesn't feel right.

If she's there, Liz is going to kill me for coming into her room. But I have a bad feeling...

I knock on her door first.

"Liz? Elizabeth, you there?"

No answer.

I knock harder, my heart sinking.

"Liz! Open up!"

Nothing.

I take a deep breath and open the door.

This isn't right. Elizabeth's room is always unnaturally clean....It's not now, and she's not in bed.

She's not in the room at all.

I quickly search the apartment, calling her name.

It's no use. She's not here.

I pick up the phone, take a deep breath, and call Dad.

I'm so dead.