14 - Nuclear Enchiladas

Start from the beginning

I started to jot down dish ideas. I had a few in mind already, but without my partner there it was difficult to decide on what to make. "The ratatouille was pretty good," I murmured to myself. "Maybe with a little tweaking . . . "

My musings were interrupted when Prof approached my kitchenette. Speak of the devil, I thought apprehensively, noticing the less-than-pleased look in Prof's bespectacled eyes.

"Still no Rian, I see," Prof said, disapproval clear in his voice. 

I smiled apologetically in response. "Afraid not, Prof." 

"Have you tried getting in touch with him?"

"I, um. I don't have his number," I said awkwardly, rubbing the back of my neck.

Prof raised an eyebrow, but if he had any comments about our dysfunctional relationship he kept them to himself. "In that case," he continued drily, "since he refuses to come to class, you'll just have to go to him."

"Uhh . . ."

"I mean you should go find him at his apartment. You know his address, don't you?"

"Yep," I said, shifting in discomfort. "Sure, I'll stop by."

"Good," Prof nodded in satisfaction and began to walk away. "I expect to see him in class starting after the weekend!" he called over his shoulder. I watched him go before grimacing and turning back to my notebook. I spun my pencil between my fingers, but I just couldn't manage to focus on jotting down new dish ideas.

"Just gonna head on over to his house," I mumbled to myself. "Cool. Coolcoolcool." 

Don't get me wrong: I'd known it would come to this eventually, and I was just as eager as ever to knock Rian down a few pegs. I just didn't think it'd be so awkward.

After all, the last time I'd gone to Rian's apartment . . . it didn't go so well. My cheeks burned in embarrassment just thinking about it. 

But whatever. I'd do what I had to do to find the truth, even if that meant going back to a place I'd downed a whole bottle of Jack Daniel's just to forget. 

"I wonder if he'll let me inside," I groaned worriedly, putting my face in my hands. "I mean, I wouldn't put it past him to just leave me out there all day—"

"Leave you out where?"

I jumped in shock. I turned around, blinking in surprise when I saw another one of my classmates peering over at me from across the counter. 

"Vanessa," I said, smiling at her brightly. "Long time no speak."

"I know!" she whined, her pillowy lips settling into a pout. "You've been so busy with everyone else that you've had no time for me."

I laughed, crossing my arms in amusement. Vanessa was a brilliant chef, and I'd joined our class very shortly after she had. Prof didn't believe in the whole pitting-the-students-against-each-other method of teaching, but I figured that if he did, Ness would be my biggest rival. 

I felt a bit bad for not going out of my way to see her, but with everything that had happened it had totally slipped my mind. "It has been pretty crazy lately," I admitted with a grin. "What with the ecomp and all."

At the mention of the evaluation competition, I thought I saw her expression sour for a second, but it was gone so quickly I doubted it had been there in the first place. 

"Yeah, that must be so much work," she said sympathetically, before letting a sultry smile break out over her face. "But there's a bright side: that insanely hot partner of yours!" She fanned herself dramatically, and I felt my face flush against my will. 

"He's okay," I responded lamely, but Vanessa's eyes narrowed at me in playful scorn.

 "Okay?" She shook her head, her glossy brunette hair spilling onto the counter beneath her. "You must be going blind, because that man is fine. If I were you I'd definitely get all up in—"

"Alright!" I interrupted, flustered. My face reminded me of that one time I'd accidentally left an enchilada in the microwave for twenty minutes instead of two: scorching hot and ready to burst. "I get it, Vanessa. Let's change the subject, shall we?" 

She paused, examining my undoubtedly cherry-red cheeks. A gleeful smirk began spread to stretch across her lips. "No way," she said incredulously. "I'm right! You're totally into him!" 

I shook my head vehemently in denial. "That's really not it, Ness." I was starting to get uncomfortable, but I couldn't blame Vanessa for that. She couldn't possibly have known the real reason I was so emotionally invested in Rian.

Totally oblivious to my rising discomfort, Vanessa persisted. "I bet you have fantasies about him, you naughty girl," she said, a delightedly vicious edge to her voice. "Preparing for the ecomp, all that time spent behind closed doors . . . that's probably the only reason you agreed to go, huh? To perv on that glorious—"

"Vanessa," I interjected firmly. This was getting to be too much, and something deep inside me was irritated by the way she was talking about Rian, like he was a piece of meat or something. "I said that wasn't it. Let's talk about something else."

She looked surprised by my sudden interruption, but I didn't take the words back. After a moment of tight silence, she recovered and raised her palms apologetically. "Sorry, Han," she said with a contrite smile. "Didn't think it was that big a deal."

I sighed and smiled back, letting some of my annoyance go. "Yeah, I know you didn't mean anything by it. No worries."

She hesitated before tilting her head curiously. "But Han," she said casually, "speaking of your partner . . . where exactly is he? This is the fourth day he's been gone, right?"

I tensed, suddenly reminded of the task that awaited me after class. I had to go to his house and hunt him down myself, and it wasn't something I was looking forward to. 

"Oh, he's just out of town," I lied easily. "He should be back by the beginning of next week at the latest."

Vanessa nodded slowly, and I got the distinct feeling she didn't believe me. "Gotcha." 

She drummed her french-manicured nails on the counter before nodding again, more decisively this time. "Alright Han, nice catching up with you. I'll leave you to it," she said before strolling away, back to her station.

I frowned; usually Vanessa and I got along well, but that whole conversation had been a bit weird. She seemed really interested in the ecomp, too. If I didn't know better, I would have thought she was almost jealous. But of course that was a ridiculous notion; I'd known her almost as long as I'd known Lisa.

Ah, whatever, I thought dismissively. I was tired of poring over it in my head, when I would always come to the same conclusion: Vanessa was my friend, and she was staying that way. Besides, I had bigger fish to fry.

I started writing down dish ideas with renewed vigour. My best bet was to compile a list of dishes I thought would do well, and use that as an excuse to spitball with Rian. He had made a commitment after all, and I was sure if I didn't scare him into honouring it, Prof definitely would. The thought of Prof's temper made even me shudder with fear. 

I finished the list, twirling my pencil in satisfaction. "This isn't half-bad," I said, mildly impressed with myself. After all, if I planned on jumping into the belly of the beast, I sure as hell was gonna prepare for the trip.