Chapter 9: The Passenger

//* A/N: For those not aware, the original version of the above by Iggy Pop sported David Bowie on the background vocals . As for why I'm posting it? That's an Easter egg, now, isn't it. *//

It was midway into the second second song, Camino Palmero's The Calling, that Jayden began to get into playing that evening. He wasn't much of a singer—at least he thought so. He moved on to a run of every alternative rock song that he knew. He closed his eyes and kept playing. And playing.

"Don't you know anything by 5 Seconds of Summer?" Chezdon said with a chuckle. "I know you do. You've played them enough."

"Yeah, OK, Chez. Whatever."

Onwards to 5SOS, Jayden thought.

This ain't a movie that I wanna see
A tragic story, starring you and me
Yell "cut", we're stuck inside this scene
This is heartache on the big screen
The clock is ticking, and I'm out of time
The camera's rolling, and I forgot my lines
My script is ripped and now I see

After a series of 5SOS songs, Jayden looked over at Chezdon, who was sitting on the floor, back on the side of his bed, asleep.

Jayden quietly got up, picked up his guitar and went back to the guest bedroom. Sleep beckoned for him, too.

When he awoke the next morning, Jayden quickly showered, shaved, and got dressed. He needed to get a new string for his guitar—one had broken during his serenade for Chezdon. If he didn't have the show coming up, he'd have relied on Amazon, but given the circumstances, a visit to the music store seemed in order.

On the tram, he smiled at the prospect of winning the X-Factor competition. Greatness would await. Then he considered his circumstances, with the sentencing coming up, and he realized that once yet again, reality intervened on his dreams for the future. Damn you, Brody. Why couldn't you just leave me the fuck alone. All of this troubles were the result of Brody.

At least he had Austin. Or did he. After all, they hadn't been dating for all that long.

That evening, Austin thought back on the day with a mix of chagrin and confusion. The day had begun well enough. His sleep had been unfettered, some nice dreams seeing him through the night. And then morning intruded.

Awakening and getting up had gone OK enough. It was everything thereafter that seemed fucked up.

For instance, that call at 9 AM from the inspector. He hadn't expected that. Not at all. And no reason to, either.

"Come down to the station, please," the inspector had asked.

Austin swallowed hard as he asked, "Is this about the James character?"

"Excuse me?"

"Oh, never mind, it can't be that. What do you want with me?"

"Mr. McGuire, when you get down here, I can explain it all to you."

Austin felt he had no choice. Off to see the inspector he went.