Chapter 4

When Draco awoke the next morning, he got dressed rather quickly, because he wanted to miss the Slytherins at breakfast. Blaise was right, they had turned cold against him, and he knew it was because of his father.

When he got down to the Great Hall, it was almost empty. Just as Draco was biting into a piece of toast, Blaise came and sat down beside him.

"Seems like you're trying to avoid someone, or someones."

"Only you."

"Ha ha, very funny."

"Why don't they all hate you? Your parents aren't Death Eaters."

"Well just that. My parents aren't, so I'm not expected to be one. I'm just your average Slytherin, not some DE wannabe."

"So because my father's a Death Eater, that automatically means that I have to be?"

"Your dad isn't just any Death Eater, Drake. He's the Death Eater. He's You-Know-Who's main man. So, you being a Malfoy, are expected to be Lucius' clone. But you know all this better than I do."

"I know." Draco glanced down the table and almost laughed. Most of the seats were filled now, but there was a five-seat radius around him and Blaise.

"Makes you feel like you are contagious or something, doesn't it?" Blaise said.

Draco was about to answer when two girls sat across from them.

"Hey guys, did someone forget to take a shower this morning?" Brianna Zabini joked.

"B, your brother does kinda smell," Pam whispered, laughing.

"Blaise, since when do we allow fifth years to talk to us like that?"

"Since you have very few friends at this table now, and you take what you can get?"

"True, very true."

"Draco? What do you think of Ginny?" Bri asked.

"Weaselette? What about her?"

"Don't call her that! And I mean, what do you think of her? She told us what happened last night."

"Ya D, what's up with you manhandling her?"

"None of your goddamn business. What's up with the initials? No one goes around calling you 'P', Parkinson."

"I think you were right, B," Pam whispered, "He is totally crushing on her too."

"What?"

"Nothing. Bye Draco," Bri said sweetly before grabbing his piece of toast off of his plate. "See ya, Blaise"

With that, the two girls got up, made their way over to the Gryffindor table, and sat themselves down on either side of Ginny.

Just then the owl post arrived. Draco's mother's owl, a grey tawny owl named Nakomis, flew up, followed by an owl Draco recognized as a school barn owl, each dropping a letter on his plate. He opened his mother's letter first.

Dear Draco,

I hope your first couple of days went well. I've heard from a reliable source (whom I will not name) that you are facing some animosity from your housemates. I was worried this would happen. However, I want you to know that you aren't alone in facing them. Just like your friends have forgotten you in a moment's notice, their mothers have forgotten me. Don't worry, it will get better. Just remember, you no longer have to fear your father, and please try to stay strong for me. I don't want my only son to have to go through this, but Draco, please, think of the alternative. I know you don't want to follow in your father's footsteps. Stay strong. I love you very much.