Dragon's Fire-Chapter 1

Ginny Weasley woke up on a day as normal as any other at the Burrow. It was the last week of summer holidays before she went back to start her fifth year at Hogwarts. Ginny went downstairs for breakfast carefully avoiding looking in Ron's room. She avoided it because she knew she didn't want to see what was in there. Ever since Harry and Hermione had come to stay at the Burrow, they could be caught snogging all over the house, and every time she walked past Ron's room, Ginny seemed to catch them. Harry and Hermione had been together since the beginning of the summer, and even Ginny had to admit they made a great couple, which was easier for her to do since she had gotten over her crush on Harry. Now she was ready to live up the single life since she and Dean Thomas had broken up last week. They both agreed they weren't meant for each other, but planned to stay friends.

Ginny went into the kitchen to find her mum cooking up a storm. Molly had convinced all her children to come home for the last week of summer, and they were all arriving at some time today. Molly loved having her family home at the same time, and Ginny was just like her mother. She couldn't wait to see Charlie, her favourite brother, Bill and his new girlfriend, Fleur, Fred and George (though she hoped they'd leave the pranks in Diagon Alley), and even Percy, who had finally come to his senses and apologized profusely to his family for abandoning them. Ginny was ripped from her deep thoughts when an owl arrived addressed to her. Ginny didn't know what was up because she'd already received her Hogwarts letter which had been missing the one thing Ginny was hoping for this year, a prefect badge. Ginny opened up the letter and realized it was from Prof. McGonagall. It said:

Dear Miss Weasley,

I am pleased to inform you of some good news. One of the Gryffindor prefects has informed us of her family's pending move to Canada. After discussion with the Headmaster, we have come to the conclusion that you would be the best choice as her replacement. I hope you accept the responsibility and I look forward to seeing you on 1 September. Congratulations.

Yours sincerely,

Minerva McGonagall

Deputy Headmistress

Then out of the envelope fell Ginny's prefect badge. She screamed for joy and ran to her mother.

"Mum, I made prefect!" Ginny screamed excitedly.

"Oh Ginny, that's wonderful! That's four in the family! Oh I'm so proud of you! Well, that means you get a gift. What would you like, dear?"

"Oh Mum, I don't need anything really. I'm happy enough at just being made prefect."

"Nonsense Gin, now hurry up and I'll Floo to Diagon Alley and pick it up today."

"Oh Mum, I'd really love an owl, please?"

"Of course, Percy got an owl as well. I'll go get you one today. Now go upstairs and tell Ron, Harry, and Hermione about your news."

Ginny ran up the stairs to Ron's room, totally oblivious to what was going on inside. Then she heard Ron.

"EVERYONE HAS CAUGHT YOU NOT JUST ME! YOU HAVE BEEN FOUND ALL OVER THE HOUSE!" he was shouting.

Oh no, thought Ginny.

"Well Ron, we're really sorry, but we haven't seen each other for the majority of the time we've been together. We thought you'd understand. And we don't snog all over the house," Hermione replied.

Wrong answer, thought Ginny.

"Haven't seen each other? Haven't seen each other? Well I haven't seen either of my best friends for most of the summer either, and when you are finally here I still don't see you because you're too busy snogging! Understand indeed!"