3: Team

Dark Mates

3: Team

“I-I’m sorry?” I asked in disbelief, my eyes wide in horror as my mind spun, trying to decipher what he had just said. My heart was palpitating in my chest as dread registered my face.

“Oh, sorry, let me rephrase that – kill them all,” Enoch said easily, uncaringly. I could imagine his examining his nails, like how a reality wife would – obnoxiously. “Kill the whole family. Kill the soul mates as well. Oh and don’t forget to kill that soon-to-be crowned prince, Dimitri or something like that.”

“Demetri,” I whispered as my eyes were wide with shock and terror. Shit. What have I gotten myself into?

“Yes, yes, whatever, to-ma-to, to-mah-to” Enoch said before continuing, “Apparently he’s some sort of emblem of hope of the future in Alfea… surely, without him, I can rule the whole continent…”

As Enoch continued his little ‘insight’, my throat grew as dry as the Sahara, my mind spinning crazily as if I had gone on a continuous loop-the-loop roller coaster, and I couldn’t see straight. My heart pounded heavily against my ribcage, and all I could hear was the pumping of my blood.

“So, what do you think?” Enoch asked, bringing me back to reality. My heart is still racing in my chest, and my breathing was unsteady and uneven.

Think about it, a voice in my head persuaded, killing him… it means revenge. Isn’t that what you want? To kill him and Lily? Remember all the bad things he’s done to you…

No, don’t listen to him, an angelic voice retaliated, he’s only trying to make you bad-

She is bad!

She can be good! Remember, Rose, all the good times you’ve shared with Demetri.

As my world went blank, I breathed out steadily. I heaved as my mind flashed me images of me and Demetri, kissing. Times of us laughing joyfully. Times of us happy.

“No.”

“Excuse me?” Enoch’s voice asked. His voice was now cold, stern, and hauntingly chilling to the bone. I felt my blood freeze.

“No,” I said, this time firmer. “No, Enoch-”

All of a sudden, a hand grasped my throat and I gasped in shock as my feet were lifted from the ground, making me dangle in the air. “Wrong answer, Rosea,” Enoch’s voice said before he growled animalistic. “Haven’t I made myself clear? You are to do everything I ask you to!”

I felt my whole body swerve to the left, and then I went flying, airborne, and the next thing I knew, the back of my head knocked against a wall. I grunted in pain as I fell limp to the floor. I clutched my bleeding head with one hand while my other struggled to push my body up.

“We could do this the hard way, Rosea,” Enoch growled again as my whole body was lifted and slammed against the coffee table. The wooden table cracked beneath me and I felt one of the splinters poking into my back. I wheezed as my eyes clamped shut, unable to face the pain as my eyes watered.

“Let me ask you again, shall I? Will you or not overthrow the Vampire rulers and kill them all?!” He screamed out as a lamp flew towards me. I gasped in shock and I spun on my back, falling from the coffee table onto the ground, but luckily, the lamp missed me. The bulb burst and I shut my eyes, shielding it with my arm. I felt a fragment of the glass bulb piercing into my skin.

He had become a monster, his voice rough, and he’d do anything to get me to say yes.

“No,” I repeated, my voice ragged. I began coughing, and what shocked me was that what I coughed out was blood.