Chapter 2: Another Dimension

You stop staring at your sister for a moment, feeling overwhelmed with feelings.

"Umm, hello?" the boy with curly hair says waving his hand in front of your face. You snap out of it and look at the boys who are all staring at you now.

"Um, we're sorry, but we really need to go" The boy that you saw in the void says

"No..." you say stopping them, "listen, my name is Aria, and well..." you say stuck for what to say to them. You then remember the tattoo on your arm. You pull up your sleeve to show them the tattoo of the numbers 005 that is still printed on your arm. They all look at you shocked.

"Look, I know this is going to sound really unbelievable but, six years ago I escaped from the lab, just like her" you say pointing to your sister, "I have been living with foster parents ever since and I've been doing a tonne of research on the place. I found out who my mother is and that I have a sister, Eleven is my sister" you tell them. The boy who you saw in the void is the first to speak.

"How do we know you're not lying to us, how do we know this isn't a trick to try and get El back to the lab" he says sounding worried

"It's not I promise...watch I can prove it" you say getting an idea. You concentrate on a stone that is laying not too far from where you standing. You raise the stone up and then back down again using your powers. The boys all stare at you.

"Ok, fine, you can come with us" the boy you saw in the void says. You smile at him relieved that they believed you.

"You can take my bike" the curly haired boy says. He turns to the other boy who hadn't really said anything when you were talking to them.

"I'll ride with you Lucas" He says. You jump onto the bike and follow the boys to wherever they are headed.

"So what are your names?" you ask Lucas and the curly haired boy.

"I'm Dustin" The curly haired boy says "And that's Mike up there" Dustin says pointing to the boy you saw in the void

"And I'm Lucas" Lucas says. You can hear there's a bit of disgust in his voice and he doesn't meet your eye once. You figure it's because he's concentrating on not crashing his bike but you feel it's something else too.

You arrive at Mikes house and you all quickly get El inside and onto the couch to rest.

"What happened to her, why is she so weak?" you ask worried

"She was trying to help us find our friend Will, he's missing" Mike says to you. You bend down to your sister. She looks up at you confused, not knowing who you are.

"Hey, El..." you say

"Who are you?" she asks slowly. You force a smile, worried about how she will react.

"I'm your sister... Aria" you say

"Sister?" El says

"Yeah, look" you say pulling up your sleeve to show her the numbers on your arm.

"Five" El says

"That's right, I escaped the lab just like you" you say

"And you're my sister?" she asks

"Yes, we have the same mother" you say. El looks up at you weakly and smiles.

"Get some rest" you say rubbing her arm. She nods closing her eyes slightly. You turn back to the boys; they had been talking about their missing friend while you were talking to El.

"Like home, like his house?" Mike says as you listen in to their conversation

"Or maybe like Hawkins" Lucas says. El opens her eyes again to speak.

"Upside down" she says weakly. You turn to her confused.

"What'd she say?" Lucas asks

"Upside down" Mike says remembering something. He walks over to the table that is sitting in the middle of his basement.

"What?" you ask really confused with what is going on. Mike sits down at the table grabbing the board game that is sitting there

"When El showed us where Will was, she flipped the board over, remember?" Mike says flipping the board over, "Upside down, dark, empty" Mike says.

"Do you understand what he's talking about?" Lucas asks Dustin. You stand back watching the three boys. You look at Eleven who is still looking weak and tired.

"No" Dustin replies to Lucas

"Guys, come on just think about it, when El took us to find Will, she took us to his house, right?" Mike says

"Yeah, and he wasn't there" Lucas says

"But what if he was there? What if we just couldn't see him? What if he was on the other side?" Mike says

"Like the Vale of shadows" Dustin says

"Wait, kind of like an alternate dimension?" you ask intrigued. Dustin quickly grabs his bag and pulls out a folder. Inside the folder is a heap of different books and papers on the game Dungeons and Dragons. He flips to a page and starts reading.

"The Vale of Shadows is a dimension that is a dark refection or echo of our world" he reads looking up at you all. He continues reading, "it is a place of decay and death. A plane out of phase, a place of monsters. It is right next to you and you don't even see it" Dustin finishes by looking up at you all.

"Ok, but how do we get there?" Lucas asks

"You cast a Shadow Walk" Dustin says

"In real life, dummy" Lucas says rolling his eyes.

"We can't shadow walk, but maybe they can" Dustin says looking at you and El.

"Woah, ok, I have no idea what the hell you guys are even on about so there is no way could find another dimension" you say 

"El? Do you know how we get there? To the Upside Down?" Mike asks. El shakes her head and Lucas groans annoyed.

"Ok well I'm going home" Lucas says grabbing his bag.
"Yeah, me too, we'll see you at the funeral tomorrow Mike" Dustin says

"Yeah, see you then" Mike says still thinking about the Upside down. You walk over to Mike and sit down next to him.

"I'm really sorry about you're friend, and I wish I could do something to help" you say.

"It's ok" Mike says