7

The apartment is an impressive, spacious open planned penthouse. The moment we step inside, we are engulfed by a sea of Hwangs. Hugs and kisses are thrown around. Someone relieves me of the parcel in my arms. Another rogue Hwang pulls me in for a hug. I don’t understand what is happening. What is this?

“Stephanie you look great!”

“Wah little Tippani is married now!”

“Omo! Look at this! They brought beef!”

“Everyone, shall I do the introductions?” Mr Hwang steps forward. The rampant excitement is somewhat tempered with his presence. Although there is still a woman clinging on my arm, breathing quite heavily in my ear.

I have no idea who she is.

Mr Hwang indicates to a portly man with a neatly trimmed moustache who at the moment is curiously examining the beef sets. “This is my younger brother, Patrick, Tiffany’s uncle.”

I bow respectfully…or attempt to. It’s quite difficult with the human anchor attached to me.

“And this is Patrick’s wife, Maggie.” Mr Hwang points to the woman melded to my side. “She has, I gather, become quite the fan of your, Ms Kim.”

“I have clippings.” Maggie breathes into my ear.

“I’m sorry?” I say taken aback.

“I have clippings of you from newspapers, magazines, anywhere.” She says enthusiastically.

For a moment, I’m too poleaxed for words. However, I pull myself together and manage to murmur thanks.

I search for Tiffany and find her behind the crowd, doubled up in silent laughter. I’m glad one of us is enjoying this.

“This is Michelle, Tiffany’s older sister and her husband Jason.”

A pretty woman with long black hair and a pleasant looking man walk up to me and shake my hand.

“So you are the famous Kim Taeyeon! Welcome to the family!” Michelle says with a smile.

“My deepest sympathies.” Jason jokes with a hand to his chest, earning him a hit on the shoulder from his wife.

Mr Hwang tries to pry Maggie off me but she just latches on even tighter. My arm is going numb and my fingers are starting to tingle – not in a good way.

He gives up and instead turns his attention to a younger version of himself who is standing with a glass of wine in his hand.

“And this is Leo, Tiffany’s older brother. The lady next to him is his wife, Judy.”

Leo takes large strides up to me and shakes my hand with vigour.

“Hi Taeyeon! Nice to meet you!”

Judy saunters towards me in an expensive dress with pearls strung across her neck.

“Taeyeon,” She says in a honeyed voice. “Since we are now family, there are people I absolutely must introduce you to. You see, I lunch with the wives of some very important public figures who would lo –”

“Yes, thank you Judy.” Mr Hwang cuts in much to Judy’s annoyance. She gives a little huff and turns away.

There is some rustling, and an old woman, hunched over a cane pokes her way through.

“Henry! Is that Miyoung I hear?” She addresses Mr Hwang. “Don’t stand there like a lumpy prune. I want to see Miyoungie!” She waves the cane, quite precariously about.

“Halmeoni!” Tiffany exclaims happily, pushing through the crowd to swiftly envelop the old lady in a hug.

Mr Hwang gives a tiny defeated sigh. The old woman smiles lovingly at Tiffany and gently pats her cheek. Her expression then hardens as she hobbles up to me. Maggie, who I had begun to accept as my Siamese twin releases my arm in a flash and steps away.