4

Welcome to Narita International Airport.

I walk out of the terminal pulling a small black luggage case. I’m not planning on staying for long in Japan anyway. Before I caught the flight, Janet informed Tiffany’s PA of the plans. Within thirty minutes of that happening, I received a text from Tiffany saying she’s sending a company car to pick me up from the airport.

That was sweet of her.

I search amongst the people holding signs for one with my name on. Hmmm…nothing so far. Perhaps they have the flight arrival time mistak-wait a minute. My eyes narrow. That can’t be right…

There is a man dressed in a chauffer’s uniform holding up a sign that reads ‘Mrs Hwang’. I walk up to him incredulously. “Erm, excuse me?”

He turns and recognition lights his face. He gives me a smile and bows. “Ah konnichiwa, Mrs Hwang. Please allow me to carry your bag.” He relieves me of my luggage bag and I give him a polite smile.

“Why do you call me Mrs Hwang?” I ask as I quicken my pace to walk alongside him. “And how did you know I was the right person?”

The chauffer replies promptly, “All employees of Hwang Industries know about you Mrs Hwang. A person who reads the newspaper too will know who you are. It has been all over the news.” He pauses then resumes with an apologetic tone. “With regards to me calling you Mrs Hwang, Ms Hwang specifically requested I do so. She said the it would be funny to see your expression. Please forgive me if I have offended you.” He gives another bow.

“No you haven’t offended me.” I say quickly. “Please call me Ms Kim”

“Yes, Mrs Hwang” He nods. Ah jinjja…

Once I’m in the car, I text Tiffany. I’m headed to the office now.

My phone beeps. Hope your flight was ok. Looking forward to seeing you.

I type a reply. Yes, my flight was alright. I briskly add; Mrs Hwang??

Another beep. Sorry, I couldn’t resist! Just a little, tiny prank…

I can’t help but give a little smile. Aish.

There is a substantial crowd gathered around the entrance of the company building. Mostly excited reporters, and a couple of harried looking employees trying to keep the situation under some form of control. I put on a pair of sunglasses and slide out of the car. There is an eruption of questions and camera flashes.

“What are your plans with the acquisition of Hwang Industries?”

“Is there going to be any down-sizing?”

“Will jobs be affected?”

“What perfume will you buy Stephanie Hwang for Valentine’s day?” I believe that was from a tabloid reporter.

I ignore them until I reach the foot of the entrance. I turn around and give them a well-practiced smile.

“Konnichiwa, it is an honour to visit the Tokyo branch of Hwang Industries. I am looking forward to building a good relationship with everyone. Thank you.” I give a quick bow and swiftly enter the building amidst a fresh flare-up of questions.

In the lobby, is a reception committee consisting of four senior members of staff. They greet me enthusiastically and usher me towards the lift. I am informed that Tiffany is currently addressing the head of each department and I am to join her in the seminar room.

All the way there they don’t stop chattering –especially this short, portly man called Mr Mitzuwa. It takes just a few seconds for me to tune out. I nod my head intermittently in hopes that they don’t catch on.