Chapter 19: I Love Him

I ran as fast as I could down the musty, dark tunnel. If it wasn't for my wolf eyesight, I would have been completely lost.

Tears were still running down my face, and I had to force myself to keep going forward and not turn around and go back. I knew I could only go forward, so that's where I kept running.

Soon, there was faint moonlight trickling down through a wooden door at the top of the tunnel. And leading from the gound up to it was a ladder. It was metal, and a little rusty but otherwise sturdy. I climbed it franitcally and pushed it open. A whoosh of cold night air came rushing it and I gulped in the air to clean out my lungs. That tunnel seriously needed to be aired out.

I climbed out and then shut the door, piling heavy rocks onto it to make sure nobody else could get out. I waited a moment to catch my breath, and then I turned and jogged in the direction of James and Kimberly's house.

When their house came into view, I ran faster, glancing around to make sure nobody was waiting for me, and then hurried up their front steps. I pounded desperately on the door, calling out their names.

A few moments later, their living room light flicked on and the door opened, revealing James standing there in grey pajama bottoms and a white tank-top. "Renae?" he asked.

I heard Kimberly's voice come from somewhere within the house, asking who was at the door. "It's Michael," I began breathlessly. "My uncle is the wolf who slaughtered his old pack and now they have him locked up in his own basement with murderous wolves making sure nobody gets in or out. I was trapped with him too and I escaped, but Michael wouldn't come with me. He forced me to leave without him and I'm afraid their going to kill him, but he told me to tell you to tell the rest of the pack that we all have to leave tonight."

James's face was twisted with so many emotions that I couldn't unravel. He motioned for me to come inside and that's whenn I saw Kimberly. I gave her a slight wave.

"By the way, Kimberly," I said. "I'm sorry about how I acted when we were first introduced."

She gave me a kind smile and walked over to me, placing her hand gentrly on my shoulder. "It's okay," she said, and suddenly I felt very at ease. She was nice, and my vibe about her had been all wrong. Then I glanced up at James.

"We can't leave him, though," I said.

His face was concerned, slightly scared, and hesitant. "I know, Ren," he said. "But we're talking about Zane Taylor here."

Even Kimberly got on edge at the sound of his name. "You know him?" I asked.

He nodded. "He always tried to pick fights with our old alpha. Plus, he was famous for raping the Winter Pack's females and killing any wolf who got in his way," James answered. "Plus he's good at manipulating wolves from other packs."

Sarah.

"I'm sorry, Ren," he said, walking over and putting a hand on my shoulder. "But we really have no choice, or chance, when it comes to Zane Taylor. We have to leave... even if it means leaving our alpha."

I jerked my shoulder away. "How can you say that?!" I exclaimed. "We have numbers they don't have! All we have to do is go in there, rescue Michael, and then we can leave."

He shook his head. "Yes, we have numbers, but those wolves have been trained to kill since they were born. We stand no chance," he replied.

Tears filled my eyes. We couldn't leave Michael, we just couldn't. Right now, Michael was literally being thrown to the wolves. I couldn't let that happen. "We have to go for him, though!" I cried. "You didn't see him after they had first attacked him! My uncle is cruel, and will torture him! I can't let Michael go through that!"

James gave me an odd look as tears began to stream down my face.

"I can't let him die," I sobbed as I fell to my knees and covered my face with his hands. Kimberly knelt down beside me, gently rubbing my shoulders.

"There really is nothing we can do, Renae," she said softly. "If Michael stayed behind, it's because he knows we have no chance at fighting them."

"You love him... don't you?" James asked.

I felt Kimberly look up to glare at him, and I looked up too. Except instead of glaring, I looked him right in the eyes. "Yes, I do love him," I said in an even tone. "And that's exactly why I refuse to leave him there to be killed."

He looked to Kimberly, and Kimberly just slightly shook her head. "None of the other wolves will be willing to go there and fight Zane Taylor and his pack," she said.

"They will if it means saving their alpha and their homes," he replied.

Kimberly sighed. I looked back and forth between them, hoping, praying that they would agree to helping me save Michael.

After a few agonizing moments, Kimberly stood up and grabbed their landline, tossing it to her husband. "Start calling," she said.