Not The End, But A Beginning

*9 hours after arriving to the United States*

It had been some time since we made it back. Ashley had been taken back to her father instantly. Leon had met with the President a few hours later. But before meeting with him, Leon dropped me off at his apartment. He said I could clean up and then sleep for a bit.

Bathing had never felt so luxurious. All the sweat, dirt, and blood that had covered me disappeared. Wearing new clothes was also something I had once took for granted. Leon said Ashley sent them.

Best of all were the shoes. Never would I take having something on my feet for granted again.

And then I slept for the first time in a long time. My sleep was untroubled for once. I was at ease. Though it was only for a short time.

"Amor, you ready?" Leon called from another room.

"Yes!" I called back. "Give me a moment."

Leon was taking me to a lab to have some of my blood drawn. With the amount of Plagas in my blood, I was not reluctant to give any up. Leon climbed into the driver's seat of his car and I went into the passenger seat. I leaned my head against the window as he drove.

"So Ashley gave a glowing review of you to her father. She says she would've given up hope without you," Leon said. I smiled a bit.

"I am so glad she thinks so highly of me."

"So does her father. He actually wants to offer you a position."

"A position? Doing what?" I asked, lifting my head to face him.

"An agent. My partner if you want to be specific."

My eyes widened.

"What makes me a candidate for the position?"

"The way you acted throughout the entire ordeal. You were confident and unafraid. You knew what you were talking about. You've had two years of experience with the Plagas. You're able to take care of yourself," Leon listed.

"But I was afraid, and I didn't feel confident at all. And-" Leon cut me off.

"But you didn't let that fear stop you. You're brave, strong. I can name one person, beside you, that I would trust to accompany me on a mission. The thing is, I haven't seen her in ages. I trust you to watch my back."

I stared at Leon, marveling at the things he said. He trusted me. But did I trust myself to be able to do the job?

"Leon," I said as he parked. He turned to me.

"Yeah?"

"I want to. I want to do something good. I want to help in any way I can," I said.

"I'm glad you want to. We could use someone like you."

"Leon?" I said before he left the car.

"What is it?"

I leaned over and pressed my lips gently to his. I pulled away and for once I got a true smile from him.

"Thank you. For everything," I whispered. His lips were on mine again a moment later.

"You're welcome."

____________________________________________________________

A/N: And that's the end! I want to thank everyone who's stuck with me and this book! Hope you all enjoyed it! I know I enjoyed writing it. Once again, thank you all for reading 'If I Lose Myself'