Semi-Chapter 3 | Harun | Flowers and Sweat Stains

Start from the beginning

"So, you're going to college pretty soon, huh?" she asked nonchalantly. She took a sip of her mango drink and set it back down on the railing of the deck. Her hand seemed to inch closer by the minute. Our hands were only a mere two inches apart.

I nodded in return, and replied, "Yeah. I'm studying business for the most part. I'm looking forward to working in a company, small or big. I have a goal set to also build a few charities, if possible."

She seemed disinterested by this, but she plastered a fake smile on her face anyways. "That's cool. My eye is set on the fashion industry. And," she paused, taking a step closer, "I'm really looking forward to getting married."

I took a cautious step back and laughed nervously. "Why so soon? You're only eighteen. Shouldn't you focus on your career first, and then marriage? You have a life ahead of you."

"Well, I want to spend time with my future husband as soon as I can. I don't have such a long life ahead of me. Years pass by in a blur," she pointed out. "And isn't a spouse half of your deen?"

"Yes, but studying is also important too. The first verse revealed to the Prophet sallAllahu alayhi wa sallam is 'Iqra', which means read," I argued. I was really getting annoyed, and yet more uncomfortable as she inched closer and closer to me. I get that she finds me attractive, but why does she have to act like a hungry lion ready to bite my head off? It seemed like she was about to pounce on me.

"Harun, I don't think you see my point. I love this guy who's attractive, charming, and smart. But I don't know how to directly tell him that I do."

"Don't you have your girl friends to help you through boy problems? Look, Nadia, I've never had the hots for a guy before, so I really can't help you here." That's when I hear someone knock and I let out a quiet sigh of relief.

"Excuse me, sorry for interrupting your conversation, but may I speak to Harun?" Kayla asked Nadia politely.

She turned around and gave her a nasty look. "Who the hell are you? You're not welcome." She propped her hand on her hip, and shot daggers at Kayla.

"I was invited. And I'm a person, if you haven't noticed. May I speak to Harun?" Kayla repeated, who also clearly seemed annoyed. I didn't say anything at first, since I really don't know how to deal with girl drama. Why do girls envy and despise each other anyways? Guys are laid-back, but it seems that most girls are just too uptight.

"No hun. This is important," she responded, a sneer etched on to her face.

"Well, it seems it's not important to him," Kayla replied.

That's when I tried to interfere. "Girls," I managed to say, which didn't seem to be enough. Either she ignored me or didn't hear me, but she continued to bicker with Kayla.

"Can you just shut up and piss off? Why would he want to talk to you?" Nadia snapped.

"I'm wondering the same thing." She glared at Nadia but seemed to be under control. She, at the moment, looked like she wanted to slap the crap out of her. I look around and I'm surprised to see that no one else is witnessing this brewing argument.

"Harun, tell this b*tch to leave. She's pissing me off." I was caught off guard by her language and didn't even bother to reprimand her, since she would just brush it off.

"Why can't you fix your own problems? Also, you should stop twisting your mouth like that. I know you're trying hard to smile, but it won't work, hun." Kayla turned around to leave, but Nadia reacted quick. She pulled back her long hijab and gripped it hard when Kayla turned back around to free herself. Unfortunately, Nadia had an iron grip on it. "Stop, it's going to rip!"