Chapter 51: Forever Near

After Nikah

A streak of sunlight beamed on Zoha's face and she pulled over the comforter. She was still swinging in sleep and wakefulness. Her head was pounding from not being able to sleep all night. She had been counting the tick tock of the clock and occasionally watching over Shehryaar sleeping sweetly in his own bed.

Zoha didn't expect to face such difficulty falling asleep. She had found herself feeling uncomfortable sharing bed with another person, especially after dadi. She got used to being alone in a big space. Shehryaar asked if he could take his pillow and go on the couch. But Zoha felt that as an insult to him. It was his bed first then hers. If anything, she had to be the one to adjust.

Catching hardly half an hour slumber, she gave up pretending. She realized it was just a waste of time. It wasn't alleviating her headache. She flipped the comforter aside and rose from the bed.

Just as she was headed to the bathroom, fetching her dupatta from the side of the pillow. The room door opened and Shehryaar walked in with calm steps. He was clad in Calvin Klein black sweatshirt and gray sweatpants. His body was tensed up from running the morning laps.

"Good morning, madam," he said, teasing.

Zoha did not hear him call that the other morning. He seemed to be in a little mood today.

"Good morning," Zoha replied. She let her hair loose open and wrapped them back in a tousled bun, while Shehryaar stood there watching her.

"Did you get any sleep?" he asked, a bit concerned.

Zoha looked at him, frown on her lips, and said, "hardly. My head is blasting with pain."

Shehryaar came over and felt Zoha's forehead with the back of his hand.

"You are kind of warm."

Zoha didn't feel any fever coming out of bed. She just had a headache. A bad one.

"Am I?" she said, surprised.

"Feel it." He grabbed her hand and made her touch her own forehead.

"No I am not," she said.

"Really?" he wondered.

"Your hand is cold. This is my normal body temperature."

Shehryaar scratched the back of his head and laughed. "Oh acha."

Zoha laughed too.

"Then I guess you should get some rest," he addressed. "Don't worry about the breakfast today. Rumina will take care of that."

"I'm sorry, Shehryaar," Zoha said. Her eyes were weighed with heavy sleep.

"Nahi, jaan. I am fine." Shehryaar held her shoulders. "I don't want my sweet wife to work when she is not feeling well. You need rest. I can handle it. It's not a big deal."

"Still." Her body was depressed and sluggish.

"How many days has it been since our wedding?"

"Two."

"Exactly."

"But I don't want you to eat breakfast made by Rumina. I am your wife now. This is my responsibility."

"Not until you feel better." He looked in her eyes. "Okay?"

Zoha was quiet in return. Then nodded.

"Good." Shehryaar smiled and dropped a kiss on her head. "Now relax and I will go change."

When Shehryaar went to pick clothes from the wardrobe, Zoha stood and watched her gentle husband. How sweet was he. How much he cared about her. Not for one second did she regret choosing him for a life partner. When he said he loved her, he showed that he genuinely meant it. Zoha was the world to him. He would go through anything and do anything for her.