ii.

Hong Sheng had some small savings from his time at work. He submitted his resignation that afternoon. It had taken him a long time to get accustomed to the busy city again. He was too used to the deathly quiet, the shuffle and moan of zombies, the need to hide in corners and search for dangers. Crowds made his chest tighten until he couldn't breathe, and he'd spent the better part of an hour curled up in an alley, hiding and trying not to make noise while he hyperventilated.

It was unbelievable how many people were still alive, now. They were so... innocent. Chatting and laughing and fighting over inconsequential things, unknowing of the danger looming just before them.

In just three months, 80% of these people will all die.

The thought rang behind Hong Sheng's eyes, and he found that he couldn't bear to look at anyone's face.

After quitting work he had retreated to his apartment, locking the door and rolling himself into a ball under the blankets of his bed. He didn't leave for the rest of the day.

But he couldn't just hide forever.

Hong Sheng had a second chance. He thought it over, and could only think of one thing do with it.

He wanted to see Lu Hao.

He told himself that he would help Lu Hao with his future knowledge, but no one knew better than Hong Sheng that his actions would have no impact on the flow of things. One little Hong Sheng was not enough to change anything for anyone; Lu Hao had established the base and become a hero long before Hong Sheng had even entered the picture. Hong Sheng was sure that after his death, Lu Hao's life would have continued the same as it always had. Maybe Lu Hao would be a little sad to have seen his old friend die without being able to save him. In the elevator, surely those two beauties were comforting him while the zombies tore Hong Sheng apart. And when Lu Hao returned to the stronghold, there were the other dozens of beautiful people waiting for him as well... there probably wasn't a thought left for Hong Sheng after that.

Still, Lu Hao was an honorable person, and a good friend. After all, he'd come back to the tunnels to end Hong Sheng and free his soul. Lu Hao had even cried for his death. (Hong Sheng had thought that no one, not even his father, would have cried for him).

Hong Sheng was well-aware that in the grand scheme of things, he was nothing more than cannon fodder. He was just one of the many who admired Lu Hao, who would give their lives for him. He wasn't significant in any way.

But even so—

In his heart, he still kept the humble wish of wanting to stay by Lu Hao's side.

There was a phone that Hong Sheng had gotten for work. He had never called anyone else with it, but today, he held the phone up to his ear and waited for it to connect.

Ring, ring, the phone trilled. Then, a click.

"Hello?"

A warm and deep voice. Hong Sheng's eyes fluttered shut.

"Hello, Lu Hao. It's... it's Hong Sheng. I have something I want to say to you. Can we meet?"

"So," Lu Hao said. He sat at the other side of the table, a steaming cup of coffee in his hands. The afternoon light bathed his features warmly, making him look even more beautiful and elegant. Lu Hao's deep eyes regarded Hong Sheng with a focus that made him squirm. A smile lit up Lu Hao's face, and he continued, "Hong Sheng, I didn't expect you to contact me. I had been looking for you."