~Chapter One~

Sitting alone by the fire the Crown Prince thanked his God that the day was nearly over. The sun had already set over the Validus waters and the Prince was disappointed to have missed it. In a kingdom where things were ever changing there was one thing he could always count on: the rise and setting of the golden sun, washing Terrawyn in warm, beautiful colors.
Now, the kingdom was dark except the lanterns which paved the streets and trails, looking like stars that had fallen to the earth.
The Prince was glad to finally remove the golden crown from his head and smoothed his dark hair with long slender fingers. A day spent learning and listening to Court and meeting more and more Ladies-in-waiting that Fabyan had set up for him to meet left the princeling exhausted beyond belief. He was sixteen and while the crown was two years away, he felt no closer to the need of marriage, especially not to these desperate, wretched women that were found for him. They were all the same, swooning and giggling and being absolutely ridiculous. He had no time for their pettiness and even the thought of dating seemed absurd. Still, he couldn't deny that while their personalities were lacking, these women were fine indeed.
"Hadrian?" The knock on the door was a quick three raps. If it were anyone besides the owner of the familiar voice behind the door he would have attempted to hide in the back of his chamber but Alekander knew him to well.
The door opened and his friend of many years stepped quickly inside, latching the lock behind him. "Do you have any idea how many ladies I had to fight off making my way up your tower?" Alek grimaced. "I swear the number increases by twenty each day."
Hadrian laughed softly. "If you'd like, I am more than willing to share." Alek shook his head. "They are all yours." For a moment, the two friends watched each other, not in awkwardness just aware of the conversation that was to come next and unsure who should bring it up. Realizing, Hadrian wouldn't, Alek took a long breath. "Well," he began, "how are you feeling?"
Hadrian felt neither good nor bad just as he was used to in the days before the Change. He felt stronger and more powerful but yet more and more terrified with every passing second. "Fine."
Alekander studied him. "Hmph...well, alright." He leaned against the door. Alek too could feel the Change though he himself wouldn't personally go through it. For him it wasn't physical, it was mental. He could feel the strain his Prince was under and the weight he truly carried on his shoulders. The pair were two sides of the same coin. They could feel whatever the other was feeling, good or bad, as Protectors were designed to do.
"People are starting to become suspicious, aren't they?" The Crown Prince asked quietly.
Alek had been worried about the same thing. "Nothing we can't handle, I'm sure."
Hadrian leaned back into the window, feeling the cool glass beneath his shirt. The fear of being exposed ever constant on his mind drove him nearly mad and he ached for some solution to his problem, as did Alekander. Hadrian feared that perhaps he wasn't the only one afraid of him, perhaps Alekander was as well.
Another knock on the door made the Crown Prince groan aloud. Alekander rolled his eyes at him and swung open the heavy door.
"Your Majesty. Sir." Fabyan bowed at each of them. "I'm afraid we have a matter to attend to."
Hadrian fought the urge to slam the door in the Stewards face. "Can't it wait?"
Fabyan ushered the Prince up, handing him back his crown. "I'm afraid not, your highness. You see," he paused, trying to find the right words. "We found a girl outside the gates. She claims to have seen an attempt on your life."
Alekander's hand shot to his sword. "What do you mean, Fabyan? What could she have seen?"
The Steward shook his head. "She says she must speak with you and only you. That only you would understand."
Hadrian's heart pounded but he knew what he must do. "Then I must speak with her."
"Have you gone mad?" Alekander bellowed. "I'm not leaving you alone with some random woman."
"Then don't." The Prince said simply. "Perhaps we can come to some sort of agreement."
"I hope you know what you are doing." The Protector said quietly to his Prince. "She could be dangerous."
"So could I." Was all the Prince said, before pushing past the Steward and descending down the spiraling stairs.