letters.

years have past since anne has seen gilbert blythe. ask her if she misses him, she will deny. everyone knew she was lying. the two formed a connection that everyone could see. always bickering, trying to outsmart each other, fighting for who is better at something. basically, a married couple.

anne was now studying to be a teacher while remaining in avonlea. everyday she wrote to gilbert but never actually sent the letters.

dear gilbert,

it is carrots. how are you? i haven't seen you in what seems like decades. i really miss you. well, i miss the competition. it is so boring here without you. matthew has sadly passed. diana has left me to go to a VERY nice college in new york. god, i would love to go there. everyone has gone off far while i stayed here. i am becoming a teacher, gil! i wish you were here to watch me teach my first class in two weeks. they are fairly young but i feel like i can teach them better! everything would be better if you were her. i have a stack of letters that i wish i sent to you but they some things i rather say in person. please come home one day. i need to see you.

                                                                                    Love,

                                                                            Anne Shirley Cuthbert

anne began to scribble flowers and bees around the edges off the letter. she looked at this letter, freshly written. all of the times she looked at these letters. maybe this time he will know. she grabbed the letter and grabbed some money she made from doing different jobs. quickly, anne ran down the stairs into the kitchen to see marilla.

"dear, anne. where are you running off to?" she said putting her washing towel down.

"i'm going to the post office to send a letter." she kissed marilla's cheek. "i'll be home in time for supper!"

she grabbed her horse and headed into town. after an hour, she reached the nearest post office. "i would like one envelope, two stamps, and a pen to borrow."  the man behind the counter grabbed what she needed and she paid the man. swiftly, she wrote the information ruby had given her before she left. hopefully, he was still there.

"all done, thank you!" before she headed out the man spoke.

"sending love letters to someone?" before she could speak against him, he spoke. "i remember when my wife did that when i was working overseas. he will love it."

she smiled at the man and left. it was soon dark so she tried to hurry her horse's pace up. her stomach was in knots thinking about that letter. will he get it? would he come back? would he think it was weird? is he still alive? those questions made her head pound. soon enough, she was home. marilla just put her plate out and anne sat.

"who was the letter for?" marilla asked putting her fork next to her plate.

"n-no one." she stuttered, shoving food into her mouth.

marilla took her seat. "i'm sure gilbert will love his letter." anne almost choked on her food.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~time skip to 2 weeks~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"ok class, time for lunch!"anne said to her excited new students. the little children ran out of the class so fast. she cleaned the classroom up as a few students ate their lunch inside. soon the lunch hour passed and it was time for literature, anne's favorite!

"tomorrow we finish reading 'alice in wonderland'! now everyone line up to get your coats and bags!" when the last child left, it was just anne alone in her empty classroom. the sun began to set but anne had much work to do! she decorated the class a bit and set up a tiny library of her favorite children's books.

an hour passed and she heard the door open. who could that be this late? she thought. "hello?" she called out.

a man appeared from the door. she should be afraid but she wasn't. he looked so familiar that she wasn't scared. "am i late for class, ms. carrots?" said the deep voice.

she immediately ran into the grown man's arms. "you got my letter!"

he spun her around. "once i got it, i left. anne, i missed you so much." he could feel her tears and she felt his. "how about those other letters?"