vii

this love's sweet like tooth decay

sorry i havent uploaded in a while, i got a bit of writers block. ily all <3

come back baby, nate x

a text from a clearly intoxicated ex - great.

"we have to go" phoebe stated, grabbing zane's hand and leading him towards the front door.

"what? what's wrong?" zane asked, clearly flustered.

" i'll tell you in the car. let's go'" she waved her hand around emphatically; she was getting impatient.

"phoebe come on please don't."

" no" she swallowed the growing  lump in her throat "i'm leaving with or without you, zane."

zane sighed "ok" he took out his keys and unlocked his car; they were still in their swimming gear. "what's up?"

"nate texted me and it just kinda freaked me out. i just needed to get out of there. all those people - it's just too much, too soon." she sighed and put her head in her hands "I'm such a mess" she said, shaking her head.

"why did i think i could do this? i'm such an idiot, why did i think i could do this - th-that i could just smile and act like everything's ok when it's not?" she blabbered; if she wasn't confined to the small space that was zane's jeep, she would be wandering deliriously.

"block his number" zane commanded, as if it was the most obvious solution there ever was.

she could no longer cope with the rising feeling of dysphoria within her.

"you don't understand, i've been with him for 3 years it's not that easy to just 'block him out'." she fiddled with her fingers that were resting on her lap - she knew that zane just wouldn't understand her fucked  up feelings.

"i feel like you just need to let go and realise your relationship's over. phoebe, you realise it's not gonna work right? your relationship with him." he placed his hand on her thigh, gently " he raped you for fuck's sake! " he exclaimed - he couldn't hide the hatred towards the toxic man that he had never met, his arms flailed about in pure frustration.

"i know it's fucked up but I still love him! it's not easy to let go of who you thought was your soulmate." she snapped as tears started to fall, completely opposite to the feeling of rising bile in her throat, "he was the love  of my life."

"was"

she looked out of the window. her calloused fingers tapped on the bird-shit-smothered glass, and traced the smudges. the comfortable slience lasted quite a while before zane decided to turn the key  in the ignition, and accelerate. he took a slow, deep breath and rounded the corner, now out of sight from the pool party that phoebe no longer thought was a good idea.

"i'm sorry." zane placated; he wasn't quite sure what to say.

"let's go home" phoebe mumbled, staring at the way the sunlight lingered in zane's lonely eyes.

"ok" he glanced at her.

phoebe hoped he didn't notice her staring.

of course he did, he was way more observant than she'd ever be, he didn't tell her though.

whoops another short chapter, I'm quite bad at writing big chapters!

as always i appreciate you all so much, thanks for reading.

words: 553

much love :)

(song: social sites, cosmo pike)