Chapter 6-

"Mom? Mom are you okay?" I rushed over to her and wrapped my arms around her now shaking body.

"Oh Mandii! Its- its- its John!" My eyes went wide and the mention of his name. You see, John is my stepfather. My parents divorced when I was about two years old and a year later my mom started dating a guy named John Sammerson. John is a truly amazing guy and I was glad he was going to be the new father figure in my life, but my dad still had custody of Alyssa and I. Every weekend we would go to my father's house and he would abuse us. My mom never knew, I made Alyssa promise never to tell her. So, that was my weekend with the devil himself. I knew my mom was clueless about everything because she had John to distract her. They were truly in love. Until one day, everything fell. John married my mom, my mom got pregnant, had a miscarriage, and then out of NOWHERE, John went off to war. He was talking about it but my mom always tried to change is mind. One week, John was acting really strange, like he just wanted to do everything before something happened. It was odd but no one questioned it. Then one night, he left. I woke up to my mom crying in the kitchen, clutching a note that read, 'Hello love,    Im sorry but I promised my dad that I will fight for this country if it's the last thing I do. He was a soldier too but didn't make it, so I decided to keep my promise and finish the job for him. I promise, I will be back before you know it. I will miss you and i'm so sorry I left so unexpectingly. I love you babe. I love you too girls, if you're reading this. Be home soon. xx    - John.    We haven't seen or heard from him since. And I now hated him for hurting my family, yet I still loved him for making my mom happy again.

"What happened?" I said softly onto her forehead.

No answer.

"Mom, what happened to John." I pulled her away and looked her straight in the eye. She choked on another set of tears and handed me a letter. "What's this?" I raised an eyebrow at her.

"R- Read it." She croaked.

I stared at her for a while before slowly opening the piece of paper that was crumbled do to my mother. I looked back at my mom and then back at the letter and read it out loud.

"Dear Mrs. Sammerson,    We know that you knew about your husband being M.I.A.-"  I paused and swallowed the lump in my throat.

"Mom... Why didn't you tell me John was Missing?" I stared harshly at my mother who was still shaking and crying.

I ignored her and continued reading the letter.

"Well, we have his body over here. He was captured by the enemy and tortured to death according to the autopsy reports. Im very sorry for your loss.  Sincerely, Coronel Lt. L.J.Harris." I put my hand over my mouth and let the tears flow heavily from my eyes.

"Oh my god." I sat there shaking in my also shaking mother's arms.

I don't know how long we sat there but Im guessing it was long because I could hear the boys calling quietly for me in the hallway.

"Mandii!! Where are you? I think I saw her go in here."

I heard a door open then close considering I wasn't in there. I stood up and wiped my face to try to erase any evidence of me crying. I slowly walked up to the door and took a big sigh before opening to reveal Zayn who fell over and into the room.

"Um... What the hell?" I raised an eyebrow at him.

"I was just about to check if you were in here and look, I FOUND YOU!" I rolled my eyes and helped him up to his feet.

I could feel him staring intensely at me. I don't know what he was staring at but it felt wierd and for some reason I blushed a deep shade of pink.