Violetta brushed a hand through her unkempt mane, wincing as sunlight stung her eyes. She didn't understand. She remembered pulling the cord and the sun filtering back out of the room. She turned to find the curtains closed, with the faintest strip of light peering through. That's odd.

Violetta followed the bothersome glare, all the way down to her own left hand. Oh my. A scintillating rock stood out on her finger, bound in claws of the finest ivory. Violetta glowed with happiness. This was not the reaction she would have expected from herself. Something stirred within her, some basic need to feel loved and cared for. She felt it pull at her heartstrings as

snippets of the previous evening flooded her mind. Colourful gowns fluttered all around her, lending the impression of living art. Hands hugged her slender waist, moving her to the most romantic of slow dances. Violetta gave in and rested her head against Ryore's shoulder. It had felt special. Beyond that. Any thoughts of Xyhoni seemed to fade away, replaced by those of the suave Ryore.

Violetta still couldn't believe how brave this man dancing with her was. He had saved her life. While he had a first appeared to be a mystery, Violetta now knew one thing for certain. She could trust this man with anything.

'Ryore, I owe you a great debt, for saving my life.'

The pair swayed to and fro with Violetta's arms stretched round her saviour. She'd noticed Xyhoni glaring from afar. No, not glaring, surely? But glare he did. Her worries faded when Ryore twirled her around, making her feel all giddy inside.

In that moment, bathed as they were in the light of the ballroom, Violetta realized why she'd been so set against marriage. The idea was not a problem in itself. Violetta had once imagined such a life where she were wed. The distress came with the thought of losing someone; of the exhausting grief that she and her father had both endured. Since then her heart had chained itself shut and she had sworn never to remove those bonds, for what could be worse than losing a part of your soul?

Now, wrapped up in the arms of this brave man, Violetta began to reconsider. She wondered how Ryore might fare as a husband, or even as a father. If her only choice was to wed, then maybe it wouldn't be such a loss if it was to him. There was merely the issue of him as another Realm's ruler, as well as the dim view her father took of his heritage.

That night had become a surreal blur. Violetta remembered having taken a seat away from the dancers, attempting to calm her heart's infernal racing when Ryore made his way through the bustling crowd. He padded over, a coy smile lost on his lips. Of all the eligible ladies,

Violetta wondered why Ryore only showed interest in her.

'How are you feeling?' he asked.

When Violetta gazed off in thought, he sat down, pulling her hands toward his own. Ryore's gaze was intense, a bold ocean blue, his body pressed so close to hers that a shiver ran the length of her spine. He leaned into her just as he took a breath, as though trying to immortalize her scent. All this and more made Violetta lean forward, expecting to be kissed when Ryore stood.

'Ladies, gentleman, and all others present.' His tone was firm, yet still possessed a sense of warmth. 'I have here our honoured guest of the evening. Both beautiful and highly intelligent, I give you Princess Violetta Flame!'

Violetta was helped to her feet, where she was met by the applause of the entire ballroom. Ryore had surprised her a lot that night, but it was his kneeling down which shocked her the most.