Chapter 9 - I Promise

I jolt up awake, only to regret it right after, feeling my head pounding hard in pain. I wince slightly at the unexpected pain.

It took me a few seconds to actually remember what had happened yesterday night. And for a second, I thought that it all a dream after looking at my surroundings.

I was in my bed, my body covered in a duvet. I slowly got up to a sitting position, laying my head against the headboard. I felt as though I just had a very bad hangover. I took my hand and touch the back of my head, to realize a gauze was over my wound. I slowly turn my head, not wanting to trigger any more pain, to see if anything in the room was amiss.

That was when I noticed someone that was sitting on a chair right beside my bed. I jolt slightly, not expecting another presence in the room with me. Another shot went up to my head, making me wince again.

Quickly rubbing my tired eyes, I took another look at the figure beside me again only to realize it was Luke. His head was hung against the edge of the chair, his posture wide open with his arms crossed. He had his eyes closed, mouth slightly agape as small snores were produced.

That was when last night's event came flashing back in my mind in bits and pieces because of my half-conscious state yesterday.

I remembered hearing Luke's voice calling out frantically for my name through the muffling and buzzing of my ears. I close my eyes temporarily, drifting off and on of conscious. I recall hearing grunts and the sound of skin hitting each other, causing a large sound impact.
And then I felt myself being lifted off the ground and -

That's all I could remember.

[_**_]

Using my hands as a support, I slowly got to an upright position and swung my legs out of the bed. As I was sitting at the edge of my bed, I took another glance at Luke, to realize how he had dried up blood trickling down his face and a deep cut on his temple. He also had a light bruise on his right cheek and a busted lip.

My heart sinks after looking at his wounds, knowing full-well it was caused because of me.

He had saved me...

I slowly walked up to him and carefully touched his wounds only to make him flinch slightly in his sleep, making my heart crack even more.

I went to the bathroom to quickly freshen up and took a glance at myself in the mirror. I was still wearing the work clothes I wore yesterday that was now covered in dirt. I could see visible red marks around my mouth. I slowly lifted my shirt up, wincing in pain as the shirt made contact with my bruise skin that was on my waist. I carefully touch it, only to regret it miserably as the slightest touch burns. Ignoring my state for a moment, I took out a small aid box that I had kept with me, in the cabinet under the sink.

Opening up the door while fishing out all the necessities to clean up and wrap up Luke's wounds, I bend down in front of him and took another look at his wounds. He would often shift in his place, finding a comfortable position. Taking out some rubbing alcohol and cotton buds, I carefully dab on his wounds, being very careful not to wake him up or apply too much pressure.

His hand suddenly shot up to grab mine the moment I have my cotton bud made contact with his skin. He lifted up his eyelids to send a hard glare at the individual who had laid a finger on him only to soften when he realizes it was me. He didn't release his grip on my wrist but I could feel it loosen.

"What are you doing?" He asked, his voiced deep and laced with sleep as looked at me with hooded eyes and leaned towards me, face inches away from me, feeling his breath fanning on my face.