Chapter 13: To the Bone

ابدأ من البداية

Princess Lissa returned with her medical kit, staff, and Ezri. His eyes brightened when they found mine, but he was given no chance to converse.

"Right, let's change this dressing and get a good look at the wound." Princess Lissa put her kit on my bedside table. "Merton, can you assist us again?"

"Of course, milady."

"Again?" I said.

"He's been assisting me ever since you came in here." Princess Lissa grinned. "The first time I attempted to dress your wound, you kicked me. You were much calmer under Merton's touch, so I've been teaching him how to change bandages. He'll be a healer in no time!"

"You've been doing all the work, milady," Merton said. "I just --"

"Take the bandage off, clean the wound, and put the bandage back on. All Ezri and I do is use our staves to help the healing process along." Princess Lissa winked. "He's been taking good care of you."

It seemed that way as he unravelled the bandage, his movements careful. But he was not so as when he cleaned my injury.

When the alcohol-soaked cloth touched my wound, I yelled. Cordelia caught one of my hands, and I fastened the other around the bed frame until my nails were digging in. The sting was so bad that it brought tears to my eyes.

Merton stiffened and removed the cloth.

"It hurts everyone," Princess Lissa said. "That's just the way it is."

He kept his eyes on mine, waiting.

I nodded. "You caught me by surprise. I'm ready now."

This time, I gritted my teeth and braced myself as the cloth touched me. It hurt so much that it almost washed out my humiliation.

At last, Merton stepped back. He rounded the bed and set down the bottle of mead he'd been using, then turned his gaze to me. "All right?"

I smiled despite the tears of irritation that were sliding down my cheeks. "I think you should stick to being a commander. That was awful."

Merton exchanged a glance with Princess Lissa. "That's because it's a very deep wound."

"Just when I was almost ready to fly again, too." I sighed.

His face darkened. "You're lucky that Princess Lissa thinks you'll be able to fly at all. When I first saw your leg, I didn't think you'd ever walk."

He pivoted and snatched the bandages from the bedside table. Princess Lissa pulled an exaggerated face of alarm at me.

She used her staff next. Worryingly, I could feel it making little improvement. Ezri used his staff, too, but it was no better.

Princess Lissa frowned when he'd finished. "It really is going to take a while to heal. Lady Florence missed the bone when she stabbed you, but she missed little else. It...goes all the way through."

"I know that," I murmured. "I remember."

Merton glowered.

"Then you know she made it a very wide wound, too," Princess Lissa continued. "It will be weeks before I'll be able to discharge you. Then you'll need crutches for a while. Months. Maybe half the year."

"Gods, I hate crutches."

"Be thankful you'll be able to use them," Merton said coldly.

"Right." I raised my eyebrows. "I'll remember that when it takes me forever to get up the stairs or attend my meetings."