Chapter 32 - Axel

Start from the beginning

Axel shakes his head, but tries to keep his nice composure. "I'm not trying to 'try you' Michael. I'm just trying to look out for what's best for Mia."

"Good, because that's what's right here." Michael takes a wild turn at Axel's instructions. "My driving is the best. Don't you think, Mia?"

I stay quiet. No use arguing with him now, and I can't agree with him.

Michael tries again. "Isn't that right Mia who doesn't want Mom and Dad to find out about her three boyfriends?"

"You can't hold that over my head for everything, you know," I grumble.

He raises an eyebrow. "Oh, can't I?"

"No, because... wait." I turn to Axel quickly. "You never fully explained what's going on."

Axel looks at me like that's the last thing he wants to do. "Well first I need to make sure your brother gets us to where we need to go. Left here." He points at all too familiar neighborhood. The party comes to mind, and I feel sick to my stomach.

"You said you were taking us to a safe spot. This is a neighborhood," Michael eyes the area suspiciously.

"Our house, your little sister's school, the daycare, the high school, and the main hospital are five out of the seven safest locations in this town. Our school was being used as a base though, so this was the next best place." He looks at me. "And we're not going to get killed. No one's even really trying to kill us at the moment."

"But the Bloodmoon Pack?" I ask.

"We're not sure if they're coming or not. The problem is more about..." He searches for words. "The effects of what they're doing."

I wave my hand. "Like...?"

He looks uneasy. "I think we should talk about that when the others get back."

"When you've bought enough time to get your story straight," Michael mutters under his breath.

"What?" Axel cocks his head back. "Why would you even think that about me?"

Michael shrugs. "No reason. I'm just on to you, Mr. Nice Guy. I don't buy that act for a second. You're probably—" He looks around. "Wait, is that the house?" He point to the mansion among all the other nice homes.

Axel and I nod.

"Hmm. Very interesting," Michael whips into the driveway, eyeing the entire structure suspiciously. "Well you can get out now, because I don't trust you."

What?

Axel raises an eyebrow at me.

I shrug. I don't know what he's talking about.

"We all need to go inside. It's not safe out here," Axel says.

"I believe you," Michael says. "That's why we're going home, where we're actually safe with our family." Michael waves for him to get out.

"It's not even safe to go that far," Axel says. "Especially without a werewolf around."

"Well according to you," Michael says. "The bad guys aren't here. So we'll be on our way."

"There are other threats beyond that," Axel argues, sounding like he's losing the patience I thought was infinite.

Michael nods. "I know. You're at the top of the list."

Here we go.

###

Many words late—many attempts by Michael to get Axel out of the car later—we end up going inside the house with the deal that Axel and I would stay within his sights at all times. Now we're on the couch, with Michael sitting obnoxiously between us, as we try to decide on a movie. He's driving me crazy, but we'll just be here until everything's safe.