Walking in the Rain

Magsimula sa umpisa

"He's the hottest guy in school and the star of the lacrosse team! Not to mention, he's really nice and super smart. Any girl would die to be his girlfriend! You should've let him get you your ice!"

I arched and eyebrow as the girl in front of me seemed to swoon at her own words. When she was finished singing Griffin's praises, I said, "He sounds like a real keeper."

I was going to say more, but before I could, one of the stall doors slammed open and Kaia of all people walked out. I could just tell from the smirk on her face that she'd listened to our conversation and she had something to say.

"You're right, new girl," she said as she washed her hands in the sink. "Griffin is a keeper. I should know, since I'm his girlfriend." Kaia flicked the water off of her hands, and turned to me. Obviously, she was trying to get a rise out of me, but I just kept my face impassive.

This seemed to frustrate her, so she added, "You better keep your filthy little paws off him, new girl, or you'll be dealing with me."

"Is that a promise?" I replied, and I took a step towards her, using the few inches I had on Kaia to intimidate her. Kaia looked like she was trying to think of a snappy comeback, but instead she just harrumphed and stormed out the bathroom.

"Don't let the door hit you on the way out!" I called after her, and then Norah and I burst into giggles.

"You shouldn't provoke her like that," Norah choked out, and I shrugged.

"What can I say?" I replied, "That girl just brings out the bad side of me."

*

Grandma Aggie forgot to pick me up.

After half an hour of waiting for her, my cell phone rang, and I flipped it open to her immediate apologies. "I'm so sorry! I'm at my girlfriend's house visiting and drinking tea. I'll leave right now, okay?"

"No," I replied. I felt bad being the reason that she left her friends. I could just walk home, seeing as I memorized the way when we'd driven to the school this morning. However, I knew she wouldn't want me walking, so I said, "I've got a ride with a friend. Please, stay."

"Are you sure?" she asked, and I assured her I was. "Alright," Grandma Aggie said, giving in, "I'll see you at home, Sawyer."

"Bye." I flipped the phone shut and slipped it into my pocket. Then, I pulled the backpack straps over my shoulders and pushed myself off of the front steps of the school. I had started walking off campus towards my house, when a roll of thunder sounded throughout the sky.

I stopped dead in my tracks and groaned. "Really!" I cried up to the sky, "It's really gonna rain when I'm trying to walk home without getting lost?" I swore and kept walking, this time faster. As I crossed the street to a less busy road, I noticed a car slowing down next to me.

I froze and watched as it pulled up slowly next to me. The window rolled down to reveal the guy who had been the reason I'd decided to piss off Kaia; Griffin Parker.

"You know, it's a bit creepy when you slowly follow someone," I stated, crossing my arms across my chest. Griffin chuckled and pointed to his empty passenger seat.

"You want a ride? It's about to rain," he said, and I shook my head.

"No thanks," I replied, "I'm fine." Then I started to walk away, but Griffin didn't seem to catch the hint, and he followed me slowly in his car.

"Why not?" he called after me, but I didn't respond and I kept walking. "Sawyer, I'm trying to help you, but you won't let me. I've tried helping you a couple times, but you keep reject me. Why?"