--3--

A month had passed, and she was certain she was the last single girl on campus. By now, the most beautiful boy in the world would certainly have been paired up with some supermodel.

She had only seen him one more time, in the library the day after their first meeting.

She had reached for a book on the shelf only to find someone pulling on it from the other side. Peering around the novel, she saw HIM. His eyes widened for a second, before they narrowed suspiciously.

‘You. Are you stalking me?’

She gasped in outrage.

‘Excuse me! I should ask you the same question. Now, if you don’t mind, the book.’

He sneered, his aquiline nose and perfectly straight teeth ensuring even that expression was attractive. She wanted to scratch it off his face.

‘I believe I got it first, so I’ll be keeping it, if you don’t mind.’

She almost snarled.

Instead, she grabbed the book in both hands and pulled hard. It didn’t move.

He laughed.

‘Come on. Are you even trying?’

Then he let go, and she found herself falling backwards into the shelf behind her.

Rubbing her sore head, she swore and heard the smug laughter continue.

She stood up and stormed around the shelf to where he stood.

‘You asshole.’

‘Look, I’m sorry.’

‘That’s-‘

‘I mean, I know what you’re really angry about. You were hoping to run into me again today and I would declare my love and we would live happily ever after. I’m sorry, but you’re just not my type.’

She threw the book at his head. Hard.

‘Ouch. You crazy bitch!’

She could see a bruise forming on his tanned brow. Ha.

Giving him her sweetest smile, she then turned and left the library.

…………….

Since then, she had continued as usual about her daily business. Since her friends were almost always busy doing ‘couple things’ and all her classmates sat in a dreamy daze during lessons, she was now top in all her classes and had read almost every book in the library. Aside from her one act of violence in the library, she had also been the epitome of good behaviour, never using her ability for evil. In fact, she hadn’t used her ability at all, having already completed her training program months earlier than expected.

SO she was surprised when summoned to Principal Bell’s office.

‘Samantha, it’s good to see you again.’

‘Um, yes. You too, sir.’

‘I’m sure you’re no doubt wondering as to the reason I wanted to see you. As you may have noticed, you are the only student left without a partner. Can you explain why?’

‘Well…I don’t know what to say. I just haven’t found him.’

She blushed. Discussing finding would-be romantic partner with her professor felt awkward.

‘Fortunately, we can help you. Now that only you and your partner remain, the identity of your match is known to us. Do you mind if I call him in?’